1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does it feel like you get a lot of holidays?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by flowerpot, May 10, 2011.

1. Because, like the others, I dont for a second believe you are a teacher, I will point something out to you:
    Summer holidays = 6 weeks, 2 weeks spent doing planning and paperwork, 2 weeks in school sorting out classroom leaves 2 weeks 'holiday'
    Half terms x 3 = working at least 3 out of 5 days for each so 6 days 'holiday'
    Christmas = 2 weeks, 1 week spent planning.organising etc leaves 1 week 'holiday'
    Easter as Christmas, but usually more work as there are reports to write assessments to do etc. And I'm primary so a lot less marking that say the average secondary English teacher, I'd imagine. leaves 1 weeks' 'holiday'
    Grand total = 4 weeks, 6 days, or 34 days not counting weekends.
    So I'm guessing about the same as the average office worker, plus most I would imagine dont do an hour or two a night plus the most of every Sunday.
    So subtracting the 39 or so sundays I lspend working that means I get... er nothing...?!!! [​IMG]

2. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

After a 55-60hr week every week, much more during reports or assessment time, most are on their knees come the holiday. European maximum working week rule? Forget it in teaching. If only we did work 9-3.30 like the kids or even 9-5 like the office workers, or just magic fantastic lessons and resources out of thin air like the average Jo Public seems to think we do.

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Here we go again, how much work teachers do in the holidays!! This is my working year

6 weeks holiday = 6 weeks holiday (or near enough, I may do the odd half day here and there, I go in for gcse results and sometimes stay and do a bit then

october half term = week's holiday, hopefully on a warm beach

xmas holiday = 2 weeks near enough, again I may do the odd bit here and there

feb half term = I do a day or so

easter = at least a week's holiday but at this time it's coming up to deadline time so I will probably do a bit maybe 2 days at most.

may half term = week's holiday after working flat out on the coursework deadline and saying bye to year 11.

admittedly I am secondary so I benefit from gained time when year 11 leave. but 2 weeks spent in the classroom in the summer holidays? what do you find to do? all day every day?
    During term time I arrive at about 745 and leave around 4-430 most days, I do not do lunch clubs or anything as we only have half an hour.
    I make full use of my PPA time and I work during work time. Work time is for work and holiday time is for holidays!
    I do not bring work home to mark unless it is absolutely necessary, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't, it is something I will catch up on during the holidays.
    I probably do an hour each evening. Sometimes more, sometimes less

My OH is not a teacher, has 20 days hols, is out of the house from 720 - 630 every day (city centre office job), earns less than I do

So yes, I feel we get a fair amount of holidays.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Much the same as you langteacher myself langteacher... It may have been different for my first couple of years teaching, but now I have all my schemes, a bank of lesson plans and resources good to go it's not. I don't fanny about or drink tea in my PPA time, and after results day in the summer I spend a couple of days reviewing my plans for the entire year ahead so there is no last minute or day to day planning to do really. It's not the number of hours you spend in school that matter, it's how you use them.

5. I work(ed) in a **** place that demanded excessive paperwork (commented on by other schools) and had lunchtime and after school clubs, supported other schools curric development and had to change my planning each year. Nothing was ever good enough and the hours I put in were equalled by all the staff - hence getting out! Well done to all those who have found a place that's not like that!! :)

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Indeed flowerpot... All schools are not the same. I've worked in a dump like that once - don't be demoralised by the experience. I know that my place really does believe in happy staff, happy kids, happy school = successful learning.