1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does having your own classroom make a difference to your teaching?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by RKM, Mar 22, 2008.

1. RKM

RKM

I don't have my own classroom. I keep lugging boxes of stuff here there and everywhere.

I see this one group 3 times a week and in 3 different classrooms.

I can't display keywords, I have no displays and I have kids work all over the place.

2. Yes it does make a huge difference.

You know where everything is for a start, you aren't rushing around between lessons and both you and the kids know exactly where you are meant to be.

3. Yes, it makes an enormous difference

4. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Yes a massive diffrence.

The classes I teach in my own room are much better, set seating plans etc

Teaching in other poeples rooms means i dont know

if the baords working
    if the sounds working
    if the tables are in the same place
    if the books are where I left them
    If the rooms to hot/cold
    if the rooms a mess.
    where 'stuff' is

5. RKM

RKM

I knew it!!!!!!!!

I thought I was going mad when I suggessted to the member of SLT that does timetabling!!!!!

6. It makes an enormous difference!

7. Yes, worked in both situations, and my teaching is so much worse. I lug speakers around, pens, rulers all sorts of stationary, books, all sorts of things. I have to take a clock because not every room has one. I arrive and I have to log into the computer and set myself up, the kids are already there and I have to write up titles as well as get a starter and do the computer, all of that.

Don't bother with registers any more because I refuse to carry a planner around too. And bits of paper get lost.

In my own room I could be set up for all the classes I had to teach before 8am.

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE IT.

8. How do you cope. That would drive me crazy

9. The rooms are also always a complete state. You have to rush to get to the next place so you don't tidy up properly.

10. Yes, my room is my domain and gives me a confidence boost. I teach in 2 other rooms - prefer my own though.

11. It's not good for teachers to be carrying thumping great boxes around with sets of books and all sorts just before they teach. You arrive flustered, often short tempered with shoulder pain and any lesson plan you had can be blown out the window if the last class in have scuppered the resources.

12. Of course it does. You can't rely on some teachers to even have spare pens or scrap paper. You have to lug everything around. You're subject to other teachers' whims in rearranging desks.And it's time-consuming getting to the room to start your lesson promptly, then the teacher leaves the door open, the kids het in and you have to lay down the law about waiting outside. I think that kids respect teachers with their own rooms more. A nomadic, harassed-looking teacher with a box of stuff for his/her lesson can be easy to wind up.

13. Ownership of the classroom is a vital tool in teaching. It is my classroom so how dare you treat it in this fashion, the indicator paper is in the second drawer under the back sink.
    After over 30 years of teaching, I still feel far more comfortable in my lab then when on cover to exactly the same pupils in another room.

14. I have had a shared room (and plenty of teaching in other rooms too) for 2 years. My teaching has definitely suffered.
    The teacher I shared with was often ill and in meetings, so she had cover supervisors in there - the kids learned where the key to the cupboard was and helped themselves to equipment, which was decimated week-by-week (never to be replaced - because I should have looked after it, like the HOD, who has his own room, did).
    The displays were torn, the newly painted walls were drawn on. The desk is always full of worksheets etc from other classes, it's hard to take any pride in the environment when you don't feel it's yours and you have to live with other people's mess all the time. Then there's the being late, having to try (and all-to frequently failing) to remember to carry everything, while also having your bag pared down as light as possible. I am a very keen and frequent swimmer and have had trouble with my neck, which I assumed was from too much swimming, though in the holidays I swim more, yet my neck pain and stiffness goes away.
    I know I'm not saying anything new, just adding my voice to the chorus. I know why it is - schools get bigger in terms of pupil numbers but not in terms of room numbers, more courses are offered in the name of comprehensive-ness so there are more classes, but the costs in making teachers travel around and share rooms etc should also be counted.
    I think if the students have it as their room, as described above, that can be just as good - as long as someone gets to take ownership of and responsibility of the room and the equipment in it. I certainly like the sound of only teachers in the corridors! But how do you do supervision? Do they get left in the room alone for 5 mins while the teachers change over? In our school it's very frowned upon to leave a class unsupervised in a room.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

There is no substitute for having your own classroom, especially if it has air conditioning and its own printer.

There is no substitute for supply teaching to show you what a **** condition some people keep their classrooms in.

I frequently have to tidy classrooms before I start teaching in them just so the returning owner can't accuse me of trashing their room whilst I was covering their lessons.