1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does having a Masters give you an edge?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by cjross, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Wanderer007

Wanderer007 New commenter

Depends from institution to institution, but generally 5 years.
    An interesting persepctive from our MP's ...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8504341.stm

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There's something contradictory about the push for teaching to be an all Masters degree profession at the same time as Cover Supervisors are seen as better than qualified teachers when contract teachers are absent from work!
    I believe that membership of the ATL gives fee-free access to MA modules.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

If TES had a 'Like' button [​IMG]

4. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

Well, I signed up to begin the masters at some point this year, after all the encouragement and the lectures on PGCE, particularly since I studied and now teach in the north west where the masters was sold to us as being 'free'.
    However, I've heard nothing since and it has never been mentioned by my school during induction. I'm guessing the change in government last May and the subsequent cuts to education budgets may have something to do with this?
    In any case, as others have said, I've been occupied with the small task of completing my induction and don't think I could manage both.