1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does Game maker need full admin rights?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by kindling_not_vessels, Jun 18, 2011.

1. I was thinking of adding Game maker to our SOW next year but the technician tells me it needs full admin rights to work on our XP workstations. Has any one got a work around for this ?

2. I was thinking of adding Game maker to our SOW next year but the technician tells me it needs full admin rights to work on our XP workstations. Has any one got a work around for this ?

3. I think (top of my head) it needs full to install but normal (network approved - not admin rights) to run...

4. That's what we have already tried !

5. It doesn't need admin rights but I think from memory it needs to be able to write to a particular folder that would normally be restricted. If you allow it access to this 1 folder it does work.

6. Gamemaker needs to be able to write 2 types of files:
    Games
    System Files
    The user needs access to the Gamemaker system file folder on the computer's drive so that Gamemaker can write to these files. Not full admin rights on the whole drive. Just that one folder.
    Games can be stored and loaded from any folder using any of three commands:
    get_directory(dname)
    get_open_filename(filter,fname)
    get_save_filename(filter,
    fname)
    All this is in the manual.
    I am going to try Platinum Arts Sandbox over the next few weeks. That you can install using an msi and use a simple batch file that uses a switch to set the user's folder as the home directory. It too has an accessible programmers core, using Cubescript (which is a derivation of C++ and LISP).
    The one line batch file to launch it looks like this:
    bin\sandbox_fps.exe -qN:\platinumarts
    where N is the drive letter for the user's folder and platinumarts is the name of the folder where the user wants to store the games they make, etc. The batch file sits in the computer folder where the sandbox software is installed.
    Platinum Arts are keen for schools to use this software and made it so it can run on restricted networks. Quite good fun I have had with this 3D software so far.