1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does everyone have to do this?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by squat, Dec 3, 2009.

1. We have to fill in a sheet, levelling all the children on reading, writing and maths, every half-term. Is this standard practice or is it just my school? It seems very OTT to me - surely once a term at the most would be enough. Or am I just being lazy?

2. We have to fill in a sheet, levelling all the children on reading, writing and maths, every half-term. Is this standard practice or is it just my school? It seems very OTT to me - surely once a term at the most would be enough. Or am I just being lazy?

3. That, I hope, is standard practice. We have to do that- and place the children on a tracking sheets to make sure that they are on target/ reaching their goals etc... every half term.
    :)

4. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

That is normal. Tracking grids every half term are normal I'm afraid.

5. Same here, tracker sheets every half term, running records updated,
    Big writing is levelled every week and recorded with targets set and monitored.
    Busy, busy, busy!

6. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

We don't do it.
    We find that sort of thing futile. We are perfectly capable of deciding what our children need next without filling it in on a grid.
    When are schools going to use their common sense about what is really necessary for the sake of their kids?
    We have fab results and have been through successful Ofsteds without any of this nonsense.

7. I would say that would be fairly normal practice. And, should not involve extra work as I imagine you are monitoring children's progress on a weekly basis anyway. So writing it down once every six weeks is fairly straightforward. Leaving it a whole term seems rather too long as if there is evidence that children are falling behind, a whole term has gone already before anything can be done to help.

8. comenius

comenius New commenter

We hand in teacher assessments in reading, writing and maths in October, March and July.
    We do assessments in class every half term eg reading analysis, assessed piece of writing so as teachers keep track of pupils but 'official' assessments are only handed in 3 times a year.

9. you may find it futile but it is necessary practice in the majority of schools. What does your SIP say about you not filling in trackers etc...

we have fab results too using this 'nonsense' so we are happy :)

10. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Jesus!
    What the hell is going on with the world?
    Children are supposed to move up one level every 2 years on average, so what possible benefit can there be to writing down what level they are every half term? The average child, making average progress won't change on average in any given year, let alone any given half term.
    Does the phrase about weighing pigs mean nothing to anyone, these days?
    Of course, there are doubtless many schools which can show that they do it and have good results; and many who can show that they don't and still have good results.
    Completely moronic.

11. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

He can't dispute the fact that we are one of the best in the county.

12. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

And give the same child to a different teacher and they will come out with a completely different level.

13. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

This is standard practice and has been in the last 4 schools I have worked in, and all the schools which I have supported.
    If your results are great without this, then good for you. Where we've introduced this, in schools with poor results, outcomes have improved and children are not allowed to "slip through the net". I am sure most teachers are monitoring and assessing on a daily basis, but I have worked with some who do not, and because there was no tracking documentation it was difficult to pinpoint where exactly children were falling behind. A good tracker will highlight this. We also track 6 times a year for social development, personal and temperamental development and cognitive development.
    Sub levels?

14. tafkam

And if you are making snap judgments about progress based on 5 or 6 weeks work, then I think you've wildly misunderstood how levels are meant to be used.
    Moronic, I say again.

15. tafkam

Oh - the sub-levels that QCA produce in their role as managers and guardians of the curriculum? Or the ones that Ofsted produce as the monitors of standards?
    Oh no, hang on, not even they were stupid enough to imagine that you can create sub-levels of such fine grading to be able to assess progress so narrowly.
    It actually makes me uncomfortable to think that so many people are so happy to think that by writing down numbers, which don't relate to anything in reality, can somehow achieve anything.
    But hey, if it works for you, whatever floats your boat, I guess.

16. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You wouldn't expect a sub level every term, that would be moronic, but if a child has had 2 terms (or old half terms) and not moved, it would raise everyone's awareness, and after 3 terms it would be a case of looking carefully at what was going on for that child. It may be perfectly ok, but there's no harm in raising everyone's awareness.

17. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I don't believe this for a minute and this is why we also monitor, social, emotional, temperamental and cognitive progress too. Because there is more to the child than the SATs score.

18. tafkam

There's used to be more to teaching than scoring. Is it possible, just maybe, that there are some elements of the learning process that can't be reduced to a digit and letter combination?

19. one of the best hey? top 10? top 50? top 100?

20. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

My last school was in the top 5% of schools nationally and the top 5 in the county, the SIP still wanted trackers, and so did ofsted when we were done under the new regime