1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does China have universities?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I'm just reading a news report of UK universities' efforts to produce acceptable online courses for their Chinese students. Out of interest I had a look at the proportion of Chinese students in other countries. It's quite a lot, although China obviously does have a very large population. Does China not have any unis of its own? If it does, are they just not very good? Or is it a rich-kid thing like A Grand Tour to go abroad to study?
    Genuine question.

ajrowing likes this.
  2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Without invoking the great god of google, I thought the demonstrations in Tainanmen (sp?) square 30 years ago were led by "Chinese students". The lab at the Uni I was working in at the time had a Chinese student, who had actually gone back for a visit, been there, then came back. This may not be of relevance.

mothorchid likes this.
  3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

China has 1245 universities and 20 million university students. But many wealthy Chinese students are attracted to the UK and USA because that is where most of the world's top 10 universities are located - and, of course, being taught in what many regard as the world's top international business language is an added attraction.

sabrinakat likes this.
  5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

It's the cachet of having studied in UK/USA. The vast majority of Chinese have some unerring faith in the systems. They then go back and prosper.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

There is a view that many students come here to broaden their understanding of culture and often study to other levels. Some, however, are involved in further research and some are paid for by the Chinese army/government and the ilk. Their roles are to infiltrate the learning sections of universities and research labs. What they learn is fed back to China and informs the areas of the learning and research they have been involved in. It helps China advance in many ways and is believed to be why China is advancing technologically very fast.
    Not all are involved in the above activities because learning in a new environment teaches many things, just as it would if we studied in other cultures, and so it helps the student grow in knowledge, culture, systems and integration into a different countries life.Also, it is escape from a totalitarian system and gives them the freedom to develop as themselves.
    Many of our universities are recognised as world leaders in certain fields and often the hard work they undertake studying is rewarded with further work and appreciation.

artboyusa likes this.
  7. Bungie

Bungie Occasional commenter

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

For those who go to university and then go on to other occupations, it is "sharing and using knowledge" for that surely is one function of a University. That is what they are for!
    But for Chinese students it is a poorly concealed spy mission?!

"Infiltrating learning sections of universities and research labs" ? Dan Brown much.

monicabilongame and ajrowing like this.
  9. Bungie

Bungie Occasional commenter

I work in an independent sixth form college in the UK with a large number of Chinese students. Some are bright and motivated, but a large number are poorly-motivated and have failed academically in the Chinese education system. Academic failure carries a stigma in China, and so often their parents will send them abroad believing "out of sight, out of mind." However, even the weak, poorly-motivated students get in to British universities, usually via the International Foundation Programme route (an alternative, easier qualification than A levels for foreign students.) Universities welcome them with open arms, because of the very high fees that foreign students pay. Incidentally, when I started at this college it catered mostly for British students studying traditional A levels. A decision was taken by the management to enter the Chinese student market (without any consultation with the staff!) and I am too old to get a teaching job elsewhere. British education, and British universities in particular, have sold their souls to the highest bidder.

sodalime and ajrowing like this.
  10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Thanks Bungie for that view.It is an alternative and You are correct for many students, many who do not want to leave when their course is finished as they wish to stay in this country but are unable to do so.
    The issue of 'planted' learners is an acknowledged problem in some sectors of HE and particularly universities both here and many other countries. I did say it was an alternative view and is not a Dan Brown moment as someone has suggested.:D

emerald52 likes this.
  11. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

It's more like a Send Your Spies to Insinuate Themselves Into Another Country Disguised as Students kind of thing.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/china/...-are-soft-target-china-s-spies-say-u-n1104291
    https://www.npr.org/2019/06/28/7286...some-chinese-students-and-scholars-in-the-u-s
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-at-harvard-boston-institutions-idUSKBN1ZR23V
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...h-on-universities-of-beijings-spies-gv9pk3hzr

12. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Head in sand much?

13. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

I’m a lecturer and PhD student so I can set the scene here better than most, yes there are universities in China and some of them are pioneers of research and at the top of their field.

However most of the Chinese students who attend British universities are the children of extremely rich communist party officials.

As such it’s considered a very important symbol of social status and wealth in China to attend a university in the UK or the US and of course English is the international language of commerce.

British universities love them because the government doesn’t apply the £9250 fee limit to foreign students, the management cares more about cramming in as many students as possible because more students = more money; the consequences of turning us into a neoliberal market run by MBA’s.

So with a management thirsty for money to build stupid offices and rich Chinese students after a status symbol, you get what we have here.

However the drawback is our academic culture is much different than China and the students do struggle with a completely different system. So you’ll often see blatantly plagiarised or commissioned work written in English that would score an IELTS score of 10 from someone who scored 6.

But we can’t punish or deduct because the MBA’s care about the money more than academic integrity :rolleyes:.

14. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

So what is your PhD all about? You made a very unintelligent comment in another thread so just checking ... :)

15. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

And as a native Scot, I am very much vexed at the fact that I can't do the further study I would like to do face2face, full time and over one year in a FE centre close to me, because of priority given to fee-paying, International Students (mostly Chinese). What I get offered instead, is the same course, but online learning, part time and over 3 years, which is NO good to me.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  16. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

The simple title is “Advanced Animal Tracking methods for Conservation using Computer Vision”, which means using machine learning algorithms to tell the difference between a bush and a leopard and making it more much efficient than current methods. It’s much easier for a computer to spot subtle differences at a pixel level to spot a leopard or other animal than a human struggling to see.

Which comment are you referring to exactly? Not all of my opinions are academic.

circuskevin likes this.
  17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Thank you, worm. I suspected as much.

theworm123 likes this.