1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does Charging Make a Resource Less Popular?

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by JaquesJaquesLiverot, Dec 18, 2015.

1. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

Hmmmm..... Yes it has only been going for a year on here so we will have to wait and see.

2. Skillsheets

Skillsheets Occasional commenter

Will the new minimum price of £2 make our resources less popular ?

3. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I must admit that this is partly my motivation - one of the reasons that I decided to give my resources away is that there are so many poor-quality commercial resources for ICT and Computing. But then there are so many Computing teachers from other backgrounds that they probably struggle to tell what's good and what isn't!

4. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

The test of what's "good" is the classroom; but "good" also depends upon the teacher, by which I mean the personality and style, not the competence. I had two very successful teachers in my department whose styles and resources could not have been more different: talk-and-chalk versus interactive powerpoints and games. Neither could have functioned with the other's resources.
    In these hard times I can understand why some colleagues charge for resources. I'm agin it, but them I'm just an old fuddy-duddy who's past his sell-by date :(

5. Teacher0800

Teacher0800 New commenter

Before we were able to charge for resources, some of my resources were reaching 4000 views and around 2000 downloads, now that I have changed them to resources which I charge for the views have decreased and the volume of purchases/downloads has also decreased even though I have set them at the minimum price of £2.00. I do sometimes wonder if the fact I am charging people for the resources I have created is something which may put people off, but, if they want good quality resources I feel that, we as teachers deserve that little bit of a reward for our hard work and effort which we have put in to creating these resources which we are sharing with other teachers.

6. iGCSE101

iGCSE101 New commenter

I have some free and some paid. I have only sold a few, but I love the thought they are helpful to others. I was so overwhelmed when I started teaching I was delighted to have found &tesresources. The school I started with had no textbooks. My aim is to add quality resources that stick to the curriculum that way teachers have time to work on other aspects of teaching without having to put together lessons.

I have noticed more downloads for the free resources and some of my paid resources are more popular than others. Not sure why! I think they are easier to find on Tes then others? I sell less in USA than UK.

Hope that helps/answers question. Would love any feedback on my shop if anyone is willing to check it out :)

7. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Hi @iGCSE101,
    Your shop likes fine to me.
    I realise that you are aiming at a particular exam market, but I've attached a link to The Scottish Qualifications Agency Chemistry and Physics sites just incase you wish to expand.
    The course and unit specifications may be useful.

{GCSE sort of corresponds in level to SQA National 4 and National 5, the first part of A-level sort of corresponds to SQA Higher level and AS2 is not quite our Advanced Higher (which is usually similar to first year Uni level)}
    http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/45720.html
    http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/45729.html
    http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/45625.3728.html
    For the lower school,
    http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/learningandteaching/curriculumareas/sciences/eandos/index.asp

An overview can be found at
    http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/learningandteaching/curriculumareas/sciences/index.asp
    http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/

Good luck with the sales! :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    iGCSE101 likes this.
  8. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

More useless information:
    P7 in Scotland = Y7
    S1 = Y8
    S2 = Y9
    S3 = Y10
    S4 = Y11
    S5 = Y12
    S6 = Y13

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    iGCSE101 likes this.
  9. iGCSE101

iGCSE101 New commenter

Thanks a lot for the info. I will keep it in mind as I begin to expand :)

mathsmutt likes this.
  10. catbanj

catbanj Occasional commenter

As someone who doesn't use any paid for resources I wonder if this would be informative for you....

I have no problem with people being paid for the work they do. That's as is should be.

The problem is I can't afford to pay for resources for my personal planning; I know it's only a couple of quid here and there but if I went that route I would spend a fortune, non of which is reclaimable from school. Plus there is never going to be a resource that fits our school model; layout, font etc so anything I do always has to be tweaked and sometimes that can take just as long as if I'd created it on our school template.

Similarly, I don't share stuff, other than in my department, as it is so branded and linked with the children I teach eg. using their hobbies and names as part of questions it would take far to long to anonymise it that its not worth it.

The problem is with the model of individuals buying things for themselves; I'm getting a school ipad later this month along with an iTunes voucher for £10 to spend on anything I feel would be useful for me (it's a productivity thing) through an account linked to my school email addy. We can have more money if we need it. We will have to share good ideas with others and anything that's found useful we will all get. That system doesn't exist for buying individual resources through places like TES, perhaps it should.

I don't begrudge people who do sell their stuff or people who buy it. You deserve the money. But I refuse to my school out of my own pocket. I would end up broke.

Kelloggs likes this.
  11. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

This is the case for lots of people. I always made a distinction between the things I purchased as my own personal 'tools of the trade' (the good stuff I wanted to keep to use again and again) - anything else was only purchased if there was a budget for it (not my own funds).

My wife on the other hand has a huge cupboard of stuff she's purchased over the years (mostly from pound shops!) and will probably need a removal van when she changes school.

The comparison between TES and iPad/Apple is good - something for the TES marketing team to take on board perhaps?