1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does Charging Make a Resource Less Popular?

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by JaquesJaquesLiverot, Dec 18, 2015.

1. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Has anyone started charging for a resource that used to be free? I'm wondering what impact that had on the number of downloads.

It could go either way - the cost could be a deterrent, or it could increase the perceived value of a resource. I used to know a gas fitter who got more business when he increased his rates because people were suspicious that he was too cheap.

2. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I thought doing this fell outside the rules?!

3. JaquesJaquesLiverot

Really? I'm not sure I've seen any rules.

I'm not planning to charge for anything, I was just curious about what effect it would have.

4. languageisheartosay

5. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

I don't mind paying for quality resources that have taken time and effort to develop, is meaningful/helpful/relevant to me, and will save me time. I have already purchased resources here on TES and have an account.

6. PollyPuddleduck

PollyPuddleduck New commenter

Before we weren't able to change the licence from free to paid- are you saying we can now do that? Or do we have to delete the item and reupload?

7. languageisheartosay

As you can see above, I thought there was a previous ruling but it appears to have changed. Check out the link and see what you think.

8. PollyPuddleduck

PollyPuddleduck New commenter

You cannot change the licence from free to paid. You have to delete the entire resource then reupload and change licence.

9. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

If you've worked really hard to make a resource that will be useful (if not unique) to teachers and their schools, and charge a reasonable amount, I don't see any problem. I used to have to buy a weekly magazine to use with my classes (and they had to buy it too) - and it came out of my own money. It was important, and good, and was worth paying for I thought.

10. wilkieway

wilkieway New commenter

The return on paid resources is very low in relation to time spent on developing the resources. The number of views would also indicate paying for resources is a deterrent for many teachers. However I will still continue uploading both free and premium resources as I enjoy doing it!

11. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

Wilkieway it's a shame this is your experience so far I've not found this. I had a little look at your products (I hope you don't mind) your covers seem to have a lot of text on them which can be off putting to buyers (I have no idea why but I've always found the less text on a cover page the better it sells.) Apart from that, most of your products are for the us market so I cannot really comment as I only have 2 or 3 up for the us and haven't sold a single one so I concentrate my efforts on UK market and i am seeing a good return on time invested.

Just my opinion, I hope this helps

BrightonEarly likes this.
  12. JaquesJaquesLiverot

That's what I'm thinking - my binary resource for Computing, for example, has had 6618 views and 2842 downloads; presumably I wouldn't have sold anywhere near that many, even though it has 100% 5-star reviews.

13. wilkieway

wilkieway New commenter

Every product is also available for the UK market - the shop front just mixes them all up. Very frustrating. Thanks for the comment regarding text I will review!

14. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Forgive me if I'm out of touch, but I've only just started reposting resources now that that ***** Kelly has gone back to tabloidland and the TES has got its soul back. My understanding was that if you're employed at a school, then the copyright for any resources you make belongs to that school and they can claim some of all of the money you make by posting it here. Besides that, I'm old-fashioned enough to believe that teaching is collegiate and that we are kind to each other: because nobody else is.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

My cover pages were also wordy. I've taken your advice and abridged them. It will be interesting to see if more of the views now convert to buys.

I have also posted a number of free resources including a website with hundreds of activities. These are my first resources for sale. I feel guilty charging for them though, as I have always freely shared my work.

16. TheGingerTeacher

IP is a very sticky issue. There are two ways people can deal with it. Lots of people just ignore it and hope that it doesn't apply to them or they wont get caught. I am actually employed through an agency not the school. However, when I was employed by a school I actually had it written into my contract that anything I create in my own time on my own resources belongs to me, even if I do later 'gift' it to my class, I have a similar clause in my agency contract. If you have a good relationship with your head it is probably a good idea to just explain what you are doing and why and ask for a short note to be added to your employment contract.

My previous head was happy for me to do this and was very pleased that I was producing such professional resources for my class and then sharing them with others.

As for the issue that constantly comes up about teachers charging for there resources, I think the misunderstanding is that the charged for resources (in most cases) are original works, professionally produced and very time consuming, often with purchased art work and lots of research. The resources that others share freely are of a good quality but not to the extent of a free product. This topic comes up again and again, The best answer I have seen is below (not my words taken from another sellers forum).

Sorry for long reply I shouldn't do forums on half term!

Please visit my store.

17. TheGingerTeacher

I hate that you can't edit your post if you aren't quick enough! Sorry for my spelling.... :(

18. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

I agree with the principle of authors being able to charge for resources created in their own time and when of sufficient quality.

It isn't true that there is such a distinction though because anybody can charge for any resource and in truth there's a surprising amount of very low quality stuff that seems to sell very well.

Charleei likes this.
  19. TheGingerTeacher

Yes that is true to an extent, but then you have to hope that the high quality stuff will win out in the end. I am of the opinion that if my products are good people will come back for more.

I don't know how a product would sell if it wasn't very good and people could easily get it for free at a better quality. In the age of google we are all able to access and compare lots of products in seconds.

20. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

It will eventually I'm sure. The current anomaly is mostly due to many of the resources TES recommends (which tend not to be that great whenever I look).

It takes time I suppose..