1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does being 50+ and having a bad lesson observation always spell trouble?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lardylady, Nov 7, 2018.

1. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

As the title. Been teaching for 30 years. I'm expensive. I've been told I will have to have another observation in the next couple of weeks.

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

It depends on the SLT and whatever pressures they are under to reduce the budget, also the possibility of getting a cheap replacement (recruitment crisis). There's no way anyone on TES can give you the specific answer to that but you could ask your union rep as a general query, s/he will have already represented a few, in similar straits, if that is the case.

3. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Thanks. I suppose I'm just feeling quite deflated and need to put it out there.

agathamorse, Lara mfl 05 and install like this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

1 Get people that you trust to.pop in and do some friendly observations to advise/help you.

2 Ask them if you pop into their lessons to improve your approach

3 Look at the reasons why you had a bad observation. Improve them fast.

4 Get someone you trust (your hod?) to do.an Observation before the formal one. Ask them to give you tips.

5 Welcome to 'jumping through hoops' and 'bouncing back'. It happens to lots of teachers of all ages. And it won't spell trouble if you react in the way your Observer wants

6 Remember - Observations are now a performance.where you show your learners are making progress with full engagement . Sadly, it is a game in some schools..:cool:

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good advice above.

Ultimately it depends entirely on your school, but if the school is strapped for cash as so many are, they may indeed be wanting to get someone cheaper. :(

6. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

Depends what you teach and how replaceable you are.
    I am 59 yrs and four months old, currently in one year temp cobtrsct ( my choice)
    Been asked if I want to do job elsewhere next year
    I already have my teachers pension
    I teach computer science
    I am in control of my working life (can’t call it career anymore)

agathamorse, pepper5, Shedman and 2 others like this.
  7. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

The budget is very tight and the other teacher who is to be observed again is also 50+. It just seems a bit iffy. Either that, or we were indeed totally crap and need a kick up the arse.

Curae, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  8. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

Sounds like the financial writing is on the wall
    Ok positive thoughts
    1) how much over 50 are you and what is the state of your pension?
    2) how much do you need to live on
    3) contact your union and make them aware of what is happening so that they can negotiate best possible deal if they need to.

There is light at the end of this tunnel - we all only have one life - make the best of it!

9. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I'm 51, so not close to retirement age alas.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  10. install

install Star commenter

They may be looking at results for last year in any exam classes you had also. Were these as good as others in your school?

I knew a teacher who had bad Observations. He went on to get one of the best set of class results in the whole school...Handy to have :cool:

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Incorrect.
    You have been doing this for years.
    Anything else you do for years, you get better and better.
    This is no different.
    there is nothing more complex and nuanced than teaching, nothing more demanding and multi skilled.
    But you have made the fundamental error here of questioning yourself.
    You've done it for years, you are de facto amongst the best in your staff. You cannot help but be so.
    Don't buy their evaluation. Don't take it on board for one second. Weaselly fiscally minded manipulators, messing with your mind, your vocational fuel source which you have purposefully and skillfully and lovingly nurtured.
    Let them observe you.
    But don't go any extra miles. Look at the children in front of you, do things your way, and when they pull holes in the entire kaboodle, you pull holes in them. In your mind.
    They know nothing, only money.
    If this is the beginning of something bad, lean on folks here, and remember that there are places where your experience will be drawn on to ground others, to settle those who are new and afraid. Like it should be.
    There are places like that out there-I found one.

FlyingFoxBat, d.clark, hhhh and 14 others like this.
  12. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

13. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Lardylady, I have been there, got the T-shirt.

New SLT, determined to get rid of the oldest and the costliest (as advised by County Bigwigs.) I have been on TWO "support plans" so far. Have managed to swiffle my way through with some sleight of hand, blatant falsehoods and ripping out of shocking pages from selected exercise books.

The trick is not to contest their "judgement". Just nod, say "Thanks for that, I welcome all your advice. I really want to do better and appreciate any help you can give me...." Accept all offers of "support". (Truth is, they don't want to support you, they want you to ***** off, and they deffo DO NOT want to create any more work for themselves in supporting you...)

Lesson observations are so last century, by the way, it's all about "peer evaiuation" now, but your HT obvs hasn't had that memo. Ofsted don't rate lessons any more, so neither should your SLT. It's all about the books and the independent learning and the "engagement with learning". (So, if the SLT are coming back to observe you, send the Special Ones out with the TA for some "Outdoor Learning" or "Forest School Exploration", ie dig a hole and fill it in again, should keep the craziest blighters out of the room for at least an hour....)

The pupils' work should show your effectiveness as a teacher, and I would constantly refer your SLT back to this as evidence of your skills. Everybody has had a bad day when some sniffy ***** shows up with a ticklist and talks to a pupil, asking "What are you doing and why? Are you lessons always like this one? What have you learned today so far?"

I would imagine this is really an initial step to knock your confidence and persuade you to depart before the end of this academic year. Stand firm and play them at their own game. They are probably grappling their way up the slippery ladder of leadership anyway, and already have an eye on their next school. Hold on and you might be there longer than them.

If you get another **** feedback, see what "action plan" emerges, and then consult your Union rep, but be warned, they are absolutely INUNDATED with people in their 50s who have been rated as RI.

In the meantime, invest your earnings in yummy pastry items for breakfast and nice cheesecakey things for when you get home. Start and end your day with lard and you will always be happy.....

14. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I've just finished a bar of fruit & nut as it happens. Thanks lardylegs :D

15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Excellent insight and analysis there from @lardylegs

You want to stay in this job? Do as she advises. Just roll with it. She's not wrong.

16. catbefriender

catbefriender Senior commenter

Well it's taken them 30 years to figure you are both rubbisho_O
    In other words, you could not have sustained being a bad teacher for so long. As someone has said, you have bought into another person's perception of yourself. Remember it's what you think of yourself that matters, no matter want.

You will always be fine no matter what.

You are not
    and you will never be
    defined
    by an SLT's judgement of you
    You are
    and always will be
    yourself:)

No they can't that away from me:D

17. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

There will be a school or schools out there that can afford you and value your experience. What about Independent schools?

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  18. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Thank you for pointing that out!! I have kept all my lesson observation feedback sheets for the past God knows how long and they are all positive (even the ones from my time in Y1, which certainly challeneged my way of working) and you're right- surely if I were crap it would have been picked up by now!

19. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I prefer dripping! Oh the childhood memories of that taste of toast soaked in the warmed up dripping from the Sunday roast. It's made my mouth water.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. catbefriender

catbefriender Senior commenter

ATTAGIRL!:)

agathamorse and lardylady like this.