1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does Anyone Want Some FREE books of maths homework games to send home?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Andrew Jeffrey, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I have written some that you are very welcome to have. They are free on the East Sussex Learning Portal (which I think means 'website').http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupHomepage.asp?GroupID=1095504

There are 7 books in total, one for each of Rec to Year 6.
    They work in a similar way to a reading diary, in that parents take the book home in September and every day or two they choose one of the simple maths games to play with their child and then initial and date in the box when they have done so.
    Children are rewarded for playing any of the games with an adult 5 times, and none of the games is hard - they use either no equipment or stuff like dominos, dice and playing cards.
    Just in case anyone is cynical, no, there is no catch, my name and website details do not appear anywhere, and I do not get any reward if you download and use these - nobody, including East Sussex LA, will ever even know!

2. Andrew Jeffrey

I have written some that you are very welcome to have. They are free on the East Sussex Learning Portal (which I think means 'website').http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupHomepage.asp?GroupID=1095504

There are 7 books in total, one for each of Rec to Year 6.
    They work in a similar way to a reading diary, in that parents take the book home in September and every day or two they choose one of the simple maths games to play with their child and then initial and date in the box when they have done so.
    Children are rewarded for playing any of the games with an adult 5 times, and none of the games is hard - they use either no equipment or stuff like dominos, dice and playing cards.
    Just in case anyone is cynical, no, there is no catch, my name and website details do not appear anywhere, and I do not get any reward if you download and use these - nobody, including East Sussex LA, will ever even know!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You star!

they look fab and will do perfectly for our year 6 children in the run up to SATs. Want something enjoyable for them to do alongside the revision books parents insist on buying.

Thank you very much for producing such a resource, free of charge and editable!

Brilliant!

Sheesh, I must be pished with all this gushing! But thank you anyway.

4. CB123

CB123 New commenter

Wow!! Thats just what I need.
    Next week we are having a maths week and as part of it I am doing a parents workshop. Im showing them different techniques we use to add, multiply etc but this will be something else I can discuss and encourage them to use at home.
    I think I need a massive thanks to you as half of my maths week is from you: camel story, UKS2 are building a large dome (an idea you gave me about a year ago) and now some fab resources for parents.
    Big Thanks

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oooo Now I'd forgotten about parent's workshops. We have one in a couple of weeks, maths and science! I reckon we could introduce these then!

thank you CB123.

6. Thank you very much. These look great! Am going to make sure I let our Maths subject leader know about them. Thanks!

7. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!
    Thank you so much.

8. Wow!! Fantastic! Thank you so much!!

9. Arise Sir Andrew Jeffrey - for services to stressed teachers struggling for new ideas. What a generous person you are. These will be fantastic for our Y6s starting SATs revision (the ability spread in the class is such that I'll be using the ones from Y2 to Y6!) next week. Thanks!!

10. titus4t

titus4t New commenter

Oh my - these are fab! Thank you!

11. Really useful, thanks![​IMG]

12. laolao

laolao New commenter

Thank you so much for these! They are fab [​IMG]

13. byjingo

byjingo New commenter

Many thanks for the hard work and sharing. Great ideas.

14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

thanks mate....much appreciated.

15. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

Thank you VERY, VERY MUCH for these! They're fantastic!
    I teach abroad, and few of the parents would understand these, but I'm really looking forward to playing them in my maths classes, and I'll look into getting the appropriate book/s translated.
    Many thanks!

16. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Well done you, these are definately going home with my year 4/5's. No more scratting around for homework.
    Thank you so much

17. These are great, thanks.

Just wondering what kind of rewards you use for them? First thought is always sweets or something, but with the encouragement of healthy eating, not sure giving up to 21 chocolate eggs or something would be a good idea!

18. Andrew Jeffrey

Wow, I'm so pleased that they are useful, and am grateful for all your kind words. But I must reject the label 'generous', as I wrote them as part of my LA time so am not really being generous by sharing them!
    It is Claire Roberts from the East Sussex Primary Team who gave me the paid time to write them when I made the suggestion, and who was persuaded to put them on the site for anyone to use freely, so she is the one who is being the more generous!
    I think it is quite encouraging that so many LAs provide free stuff at the moment as LAs are axing staff left, right and centre and will probably start charging schools for the services they provide.

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Tea and cake with the HT one afternoon works well as a top treat for our year 6s. They love the whole tea pot/cup and saucer/cake fork/tablecloth thing and being in the head's office.

Choosing time on a Friday afternoon would also work well for us, year 6 don't generally get any such thing so it is a well liked treat.

Mini eggs would also be good. Actually my class have asked about making easter nests again this year, so that could be a treat for those who have done the games.

To be honest the best treat will be a fun time with you/the HT/DH/whoever...Cheaper than 20 odd creme eggs!

20. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

These are great ... thank you Andrew. I think they are useful little activities for use in school or at home.

Carrie [​IMG]