1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone use the IPC

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by May2, Mar 15, 2012.

1. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

I just wondered if anyone works in a school that uses the International Primary Curriculum and how they have found it for Foundation Stage.
    Our school has decided to start using it (in Uk state school) from September so just wondered if anyone had any opinion on it.

2. Yes I've used it. The planning is a bit limited, based around standard EY topics, the activity ideas are fine as far as they go, but you will want to supplement them with your own ideas, and adapt to the interests of your class. I found I needed to plan Literacy and Maths separately, there wasn't enough integrated into the topics, and that was in Nursery, in Reception you would definitely need to.
    The learning objectives are set out very broadly/ vaguely- I missed the developmental progression the EYFS curriculum provides, and used the EYFS alongside, especially to help with assessment. For less experienced teachers I don't think it makes the Personal, social, emotional development aspects of learning for this age group explicit enough.
    Colleagues further up the school raved about the IPC though- for KS2 the integrated topics were great and the children were really motivated. I think part of the issue with the EY IPC is it was developed quite a few years ago, and hasn't as yet been updated in light of all the changes that have happened in the UK since.