1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone use Lexia...?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by FenellaF, Jan 19, 2012.

1. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

and have you noticed any progress in their spelling?

Thanks

2. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Sorry, I meant the children's spelling. I know it's primarily a reading tool, but as it's phonic and word linked, i wondered whether it had had an impact on spelling as well.

3. Hey FenellaF
    Im a teaching assistant working with Year 1 children and a group of them do lexia one morning and one afternoon a week. I think predominantly lexia supports the reading and I have noticed that over the last term they have all improved significantly. Im not sure if it can consistently improve spelling but I have heard a child say they could now spell 'what' because they remembered it from lexia. So its getting in there. I think any sort of practice would help but lexia is great because they can do it independently and see their progress.
    hope that helps a little :)

4. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Thanks Jess, that's a great help
    x

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We use Lexia successfully but you need to be aware it isn't synthetic phonics (even though it is marketed as such) and it is very "American" so some children struggle with labelling the blimp and the cot (camp bed) and matching word association like ball + park

6. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Thanks for that Msz, have you noticed an improvement in spellings at all?

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I has a spelling element in that it shows a word and the child has to type the word then it removes a letter and the child has to type the word then it removes more letters until all the letters are gone and the child has to recall how to spell the word.So it does have some impact although I haven't specifically measured spelling improvement.
    I think it has to be used regularly with a skilled adult for it to be successful