1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone understand 'May be fit to work' notes?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by neli, Feb 4, 2011.

1. neli

neli Occasional commenter

I have the GP version, the HT' version and the OH version. I have googled and read all the advice. Still no clearer!

2. neli

I have the GP version, the HT' version and the OH version. I have googled and read all the advice. Still no clearer!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It depends where your confusion lies. I found the DWP information pretty clear to follow and my GP gave a brief explanation too - haven't had any comment from HT though.

4. neli

Hi Seren,
    GP said it's the Law and School had to abide by it and recommended 3 month phased return.
    HT said what OH says goes, who recommended a month phased return but has now changed his mind a month in.
    OH said it's at school discretion and he can only advise.

One confused Neli

5. neli

I really should switch to IE for TES!
    (every other site manages paragraphs on Chrome)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

if i remember this right

'may be fit for work' tends to be when a person wants to return to a job, even if the GP et al disagrees with them.

ie when i was off with a broken foot, i needed to go back into my retail job for 10 days, before sick leave was up, so the GP send in a 'may be fit to work' note.

AKA i could go back if the company wanted me to, but could still be in issue heath wise.

8. neli

Thanks Seren, that was interesting, have not seen the GP advice before.
    I think it's point 7 that is the real quibble as the GP gave me 3 months whereas school and OH say 1.

Oh well, I'll just remain piggy in the middle I suppose, the sick one by the way, they seem to forget that as the battle rages on :-/

9. neli

It has all changed quite recently Grandelf. What I have just read sounded very much like the Gov. has moved on from Teachers to Drs now, reducing their power and telling them they know best.
    No doubt it will change again in 6 months and everyone will be even more confused.

Neli

10. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

The reason they are offering one month is due to the financial cost of a phased return. If the GP advises 3, but they only give you 1 at least you can say that they didn't follow medical advice if things don't work out, which hopefully they will.

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The problem is where the person on the phased eturn might have an illness such as Me which can attack at any moment...and then the term phased return can mean many arguable things.
    The cost is huge toa school in terms of cover(supplies costing nearly 200 a day i believe.although the supply doesnt get that)) and so you can understand a schools egerness to get you back...or want you to leave.

12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Many LAs have fixed policies on phased returns - I'm used to them only allowing for a maximum of a four week phase (though others may allow more). Three months is an awful long time to phase a return, IMO and would, as others have said, cost a fortune, especially since any insurance policy pays nothing once you return even on a phased return.