1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone teach in a prision?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by annsp, Jul 29, 2011.

1. I have applied to do cover work in the education department of a prison. I will be teaching Food ( yes I am aware of knives boiling water etc - only prisoners who have been safety checked are able to work in the kitchen).Does anyone have experience or tips to give me.

2. Have done, but only with 3 pupils who were under my loving care when I was a TA (I was a qualified teacher working as a TA). I did literacy with them but I am actually a Food teacher. I found that they were better behaved and more attentive because if they ***** about they lost privileges. A resounding success for the principle of sanctions that bite.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Where they young LOTF? Or adults? x

4. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I taught in Reading YOI for a few months about 10 years ago, it was quite an experience.
    It's true there were no disciplince problems as such, as there were two guards standing at the end of the 'hall' (can't think of how else to describe it), any lip or attitude and they were marched off and banged up. Doing education was definitely seen by the inmates as a perk and much better than sitting in their cell. On the whole the inmates were friendly and appreciative.
    But it was also a very brutal environment, fights between inmates were not uncommon, those that I witnessed were allowed to carry on by the guards until a clear winner emerged. Only then would they plough in to separate them.
    I found the whole security thing really rather depressing as well. It's obviously a necessity, but still very over-bearing.
    I don't know how different it would be in a 'grown-up' nick