1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone share 2 TAs between 3 classes?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by melba, Jun 16, 2011.

1. We are fortunate to have 2 TAs in my year group (y2), but with an upcoming bulge class, I'm starting to think how to fairly share the TAs between the classes. Any advice please?

2. Would the fairest way not be to look at which students need support most for particular subjects?

3. We share one TA between two classes of 30 in one year group while another has three TAs between two classes. Depends on the number of statemented children in the year group. The upside is that the classes which share one TA are really independent while those that are inundated with TAs can barely turn a page without asking someone first.

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

We share 0 TA's between 3 classes with the exception of one afternoon a week where we get a little photocopying done.

5. We're quite lucky in our school... we have 1 TA for each class... plus a couple of "floatin" TA's who help fill in when needed. Then there's also the SEN TA's who work with the statemented children.
    I imagine with budget cuts (our school understands how important TAs are so push funding from all areas into funding the number we currently have) this will soon change [​IMG] in fact I our HT said if I was not leaving to start GTP in Sept there was going to be job cuts... he's already cut all positions that were on fixed term contracts.

6. It's a nightmare in our school, because one teacher always 'hogs' one TA and has them full time basically, leaving the other two classes to share one TA (admitedly, better than not having one at all but still) - we've tried to get round this and solve it, but it just doesn't work despite trying many times and in different ways.
    imho it really doesn't work and I'd far rather have a TA that I share with a completely different part of the school, for a whole day at a time, as then there wouldn't be any 'I'm just popping to finish off x/y/z across the corridor' that happens in all year groups in our school (we all share TA's between classes in Year groups so 1/2 3/4 and 5/6).
    Or - just get rid of the pointless tasks I have to do and then I wouldn't need a TA to do them for me!(or to prepare things as I'm too busy doing other pointless things and there are only so many hours in a day).
    It has no bearing in our school on how many SA SA+ or Statemented children you have in your class, its just down to who is the most pushy really, or who is the closest friends with someone :( It would be much fairer imho to allocate based on need first, ie SEN/EAL children and then give some time to everyone after this as well.