1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone recognise these symptoms

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Hg65FCESX-nhvc3sXwz, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Hg65FCESX-nhvc3sXwz

Hg65FCESX-nhvc3sXwz New commenter

There's a student I do GSCE private tuition for, he's very bright but he won't use three words if a hundred will do.

He over-explains everything he does and rambles excessively and having worked with students with special needs before, I'm wondering if he has some undiagnosed condition.

Does anyone recognise what I have described as an indicator of a particular condition?

Thanks

2. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs Occasional commenter

It could be an indicator of an SpLD. But in order to help identify what, you'd need to identify other indicators. So what else have you noticed about this student - eg word finding difficulties, organisation of ideas, handwriting, physical co-ordination?

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

hyperlexia?

normally defined as reading too much, but can present as over use of language overall.

its a symptom rather than a diagnosis though

4. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Anyone who takes this description for anything diagnostic is insane. This is a normal behaviour, no need to pathologise it.

Teach them writing skills, peel/pear paragraphs. If they are doing this as an avoidance strategy then shut it down or give them a break before coming back to it.

5. Hg65FCESX-nhvc3sXwz

Insane? What a ridiculous comment. There's no other way to describe it.

Normal behaviour? No, it isn't. I must have taught nearly 3000 students in my career and I have never seen this before.

It isn't an avoidance strategy because he never avoids doing any work.

And I'm not an English teacher. English is not the only subject where students speak to their teachers and explain their reasoning.

P.S. Apologies to everyone else if there is another message where I have written practically the same thing. My first attempt wasn't posted (not yet anyway) and there wasn't the usual message saying that it was awaiting a moderator's approval.

6. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

And I have worked with dozens of students in my career who would fit this exact description.

Being excessively chatty is not diagnostically relevant. Every condition could have this as a behavioural outcome by the time you get to the 4th or 5th tier of behaviours, and some people are simply rambly.

Seeking to pathologise a behaviour you consider unusual is exactly as I described it originally, insane. No other concern other than he over describes things, works hard and is bright.

7. Hg65FCESX-nhvc3sXwz

This is not a case of over describing things or being simply rambly. I see that often.
    This is excessive.
    It is no exaggeration to say that this particular student will spend a minute explaining and then re-explaining and justifying what he did when one or two sentences will suffice.

I am not seeking to pathologise this behaviour, I was merely asking if this is an indicator of a particular condition, which is completely different.
    And, even if I had been seeking to pathologise it, you don't seem to have noticed your blatant hypocrisy in calling me insane for doing so.

P.S. Apologies again to everyone else if two similar messages appear.
    Same issue as before, unfortunately.

8. SayItLikeItIs

I think if you see this as part of a cluster of other difficulties then it could be indicative of SpLD. If this the case with your student then of course it is not insane - it would actually be quite useful because then you would have a signpost to intervention/remediation.

9. SayItLikeItIs

Totally agree about the hypocrisy!

10. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

My friends daughter has just received an autism diagnosis. She can not stop,talking. I don't know if it's an anxiety thing but she talks at people and just doesn't stop for breath and this can go on for a long time. She is quite animated whilst talking and one just cannot get a word in. She comes with me and my friend to walk our dogs and sometimes I cannot bear it. I end up walking along with her talking incessantly at me and in the end all I can do is go silent and try to zone out from it. On occasions I feel like screaming because it really is exhausting.

11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I would say it's "something" and fairly unusual. I'm not aware of a label for this, and have occasionally come across youngsters a bit like this.
    I would think about challenging them to explain things with a word limit. I have heard of Twitter challenges where you have to summarise ideas in characters.

12. Oscar63

Oscar63 New commenter

sounds like my mother in law