1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone really care?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by percy topliss, Jun 30, 2017.

1. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Its the holidays and I have even more time than usual to peruse these threads. One which stood out was about what will you really miss. It struck me as odd, seeing as we are now living in the post truth, homogenised and globalised world why would anyone need to miss out on anything and indeed why should anyone care?
    When I lived in Shanghai there was a Tesco's across the road and a BMW dealership just down the lane, in Moscow an Irish bar and a Britsh tea shop, in Bahrain a Marks and Sparks and in Bangkok I can now buy any foodstuff I need from Central at Chid Lom and Guinness in any bar down Sukhumvit Road. It wasn't always so but it is now. Sure, they cost, but so what? I chose to live here, I cannot countenance ex-pats who whinge about how much "stuff" costs in their new, self selected, home. If you don't like it go back to Wakefield !

Anyway, to my point. I take it that everyone who reads this post is an overseas teacher or has been one and now, possibly, resides in retirement in Ruritania, my question is: Who care about what happens in the UK? Does Corbyn float your boat, is May the be all and end all? What is Austerity anyway?
    Will Brexit really make any difference to me here in Bangkok/Saudi?Qatar etc? Who cares about cutbacks in Peckham as long as their kids are being well educated, the pool is cool, a few thousand quid go home every month and there is tonic for their gin?
    I am flying home soon to the UK where I own a couple of houses which will, hopefully, pay for my daughters education, however if it weren't for Mrs T's parents I wouldn't bother, I already live in paradise, right?

A little devils advocacy for a Friday......Who cares?

Perce

suem75 and sharon52 like this.
  2. mrswallow

mrswallow Occasional commenter

I worry about the friends and relatives I have stuck back in the UK. The ones who -for various reasons- don't have wherewithal to move abroad like I did. (I say abroad, NZ isn't terribly foreign.. ) I don't miss living in the UK, but I do miss some aspects of the UK. (I spent a lot of time mountain biking around the beech woods near Reading and up on the Ridgeway, I miss that for example..) I do sometimes miss the ability to ring a mate up, say 'Pint' and then meet them two hours later in the right place. Is it enough to make me want to move back? No. Do I want things to be better for my family back in the UK. Yes. Do I care? After a fashion. For instance... my MiL said a while ago that if Trump got in, Brexit happened and Boris became PM, she would move to NZ. I'd rather that didn't happen,thank you very much. So, yes. I care. Maybe not for the right reasons though..

Anyone but Boris. Please, anyone but Boris. Dear Lord, anyone but Boris....

senlady, CBrown and percy topliss like this.
  3. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

I always feel slightly embarrassed when foreign friends are more clued up about events in the UK than me and ask me questions about what's going on there that I can't answer. While, when I first went overseas, the UK was my reference point, its significance to me has diminished for me as time has gone on - to my far, far greater happiness overseas.

I'm still English (British seems a more nebulous concept these days given rumblings north of the border) and I still had a couple of pints in a pub that traces its history back to 1530 but the world has moved and so have I.

4. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

The pints were drunk yesterday BTW, not in 1503.

5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

But we don't all become expats in first tier cities in modern countries, do we? So we don't all have access to Tesco, Irish bars and versions of British food. (I personally don't care about the first two things on that list, but I do like British bread and cheese, or European bread and cheese). My husband is Chinese, and it's only in the past couple of years that they've opened Starbucks in his province, although they've had McDonalds and KFC forever; doubt they'll ever open an Irish bar or M&S, haha.

Lots of people on the 'overseas' board seem to hate the UK, which is a shame. I've hated it at times, but I've had a very positive 12 months in the UK and am sad to be leaving this summer.

Who cares? Well, if you have family and friends in the UK, you should care. It's your country, even if you're never coming back, so you should care. You have investments here, so you should care.

I care.

Pat10 likes this.
  6. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

I care about Turkey, my in-laws in Istanbul and what that lunatic Erdogan is doing to my wife's country.

I care about friends in China, and Hong Kong, and wonder what the government will do there and how personal freedoms will be developed or affected in the future.

I care about where I am right now and worry about the obvious political suppression and abuses perpetrated by the first family and their acolytes, and what the future holds for local people.

I care about family in the UK, especially my nephews, nieces, great-nephews and great-nieces and worry what the future might hold for them. I care about what it might all mean for my wife and I should we ever choose to buy or settle in the UK, or anywhere else actually.

I don't however care because I should. I care because I choose to. But it's a kind of long distance caring that doesn't keep me up at night. It's more of an intellectual exercise as opposed to a gut wrenching experience.

But yeah, I care.

percy topliss likes this.
  7. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

I care because I'd love to live and work across Europe for the rest of my life, and Brexit may scupper that. As for the rest of it, I only care as far as encouraging friends and family to get out fast.

As an aside, I am seriously researching changing nationality, so no, care about the country is slim to none. And I seriously don't feel it's 'my country' anymore, blueskydreaming!

suem75 and percy topliss like this.
  8. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Excellent, always good to stimulate discussion, a little darkness creeping in. Always nice to be told what I "should" do.

Perce

9. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Im with Perce on this one, do i care?, well no not really. I have chosen this life and i love it, i honestly wouldnt change it for the world. The UK for me is just a constant source of embarresment and entertainment in equally amounts. I have never considered myself "British", i am Welsh, and very proud to be. I would have always considered myself European before being British, but i do worry about what the Tories are doing to the UK. Im more disgusted at my parents for voting for the Brexit farce, and its only going to get worse in my opinion, but it does concern me about what it will mean for my future with regards to what my passport will give me access to. I to like lottee am looking to change citizenship, so then i can forget about the UK totally.

I worry sometimes when people on this forum mention that they will miss their family and friends. I dont miss mine AT ALL. i wonder if there is something wrong with me. With technology im in constant contact with both, i dont have time to miss them. Two great friends came to visit me in Poland last week, we had a blast. I had to pay for it mind you, even though one is an assistant head, and the other a head of faculty....niether of them could afford it. Teaching internationally has given me a life i could only have dreamed of in the UK. Do i miss anything, no. I have lived in countries where you cant get anything, i have lived in countries where you can get everything, do i worry about paying £6 for a can of Dr Pepper (no joke), well no, because i earn soooooooooo much more than i ever could in the UK, and a little taste of home sometimes doesnt hurt.

lottee1000 and Beagles111 like this.
  10. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I don't miss living in the UK at all. It made me miserable. I miss a few things about it but not the living there part. I miss my family and some friends. I'm sad that I don't get to spend more time with my nephews. At least now when I do visit we spend quality time together and they get the best of me, instead of the shell of a person I was before. I do care about what happens politically because my family are stuck in the UK unable to move like I did.

I miss bacon (just can't get it here) and proper fish and chips. Other than that, I've got everything I need. I love my life but of course I'm still going to care about what happens in the UK. That's just who I am.

suem75 and Beagles111 like this.
  11. isotonic

isotonic Occasional commenter

I know many Turks personal family friends who are very happy with Erdogan - likewise I have been a few times over recent years including a few months back and also visited prior to Erdogan and I can safely say I prefer it now!

I guess only secular minded people and non Muslim's object to Erdogan otherwise he is the most respected of leaders in the Muslim world - in fact he is the only one that openly spoke about peace between Saudi and Qatar and also against the Israeli oppression - he speaks for the majority of Muslims when at a time the rest of the Muslim leaders do not care about anyone but themselves - I have heard those who are against Erdogan just like they were against Morsi who was democratically elected but did not submit to the powers to be and hence was illegally overthrown by Sisi and his clowns

12. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Gone 14 years and no I don't miss the UK. I am, however, sometimes nostalgic for what I perceive life might be like in the UK - but then I think about what I have here and hopefully at the next stop and know that I made the right choice to leave and very grateful for the opportunities I have had in life.

13. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Certainly no M&S - the ones in Shanghai closed in April

14. SecondPlace

Turkey is a deeply divided country but if you believe that Erdogan is a force for good and a true believer in democracy and true rule of law then, well, you're entitled to that opinion. I don't share it, and that's okay, but it's not okay that the right to state diverse opinions and dissent is being ruthlessly crushed by Erdogan.

I remember being sat in Ortakoy on a Friday afternoon many years ago. The mosque was overflowing with people at lunchtime prayers and we were having a glass of wine at a restaurant maybe 50m away. I'm not sure this scene would be repeatable now, or will be in the future. I would not presume to try to stop the people in the mosque praying, and whilst most of the worshippers wouldn't presume to stop be having a glass of wine the fact is that the Erdogan led government would, and does.

That can't be right. Neither can the blocking of Gay Pride marches and the arrests of those who try, nor the stopping of teaching the theory of evolution in schools. Etc. etc. etc.

I hope some middle ground and consensus can be found for the sake of all Turks.

miketribe and kstainsb like this.
  15. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Turkey wasn't exactly the bastion of morality before Erdogan. It's basically a country of ultra-nationalists who refuse to accept that the Armenian genocide was even a thing. There is a reason they're not exactly popular internationally.

16. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Yes, if you're a fundamentalist with no regard for the freedoms of anyone else who doesn't ascribe to your dogma, then Erdogan is right up your street.

miketribe, Pomz and kstainsb like this.
  17. SecondPlace

See, I don't know why the Turks don't just 'blame' the Armenian genocide on the Ottomans and use that as a reason for getting rid of them.

18. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Um, because I was using the same wording as you did, perhaps? You asked why you should care, so I told you why you should care... :rolleyes:

lardprao likes this.
  19. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

There seem to be two parts to your original post:

Part 1 Q: why would anyone miss anything in our 'global' world?
    Part 1 A: I think a lot of people on the post you are referring to (from memory) were speculating on what they might miss as they are about to embarque on a first move. But there are plenty of things that you cannot get in plenty of places and therefore may be missed and there are still places in the world without any chain supermarkets, coffee shops, bars, restaurants etc as well as places that are remote enough to not have other cuisines etc. In addition some people miss actually seeing touching and hugging nearest and dearest not just talking on the phone or through a computer. So there are a good number of reasons why one might miss something or someone! As for me I miss easily affordable fresh fruit and vegetables of a good variety especially soft fruit. I miss a good Chinese meal. I miss a butchers shop. I miss my family home, our wood burner and our AGA.

Part 2 Q: do you care about the situation (political or otherwise) in the UK?
    Part 2 A: Yes. My friends and family are there and I care what happens to them. I also care what happens to my profession there as well as to the education that children get there. I care about what provision is made for the elderly as my parents are aging there. A lot of my possessions are there and I cannot see into the future and I may well return there so I care. However, I also care about many of the same things in many, many, many other nations because as you pointed out we are a global world and as such these things do impact on other places and peoples. I am a global citizen and also a member of the human race and I care what happens to my fellow citizens and the fellow members of my race. On that basis why would you not care?

20. suem75

suem75 Occasional commenter

I've been pondering along these lines, as I 'came back' to the UK for a year (almost over now, 7 weeks to go!), and no longer recognise the place. It all seems terribly 'tabloid-ised' and divided. Maybe it's because I can follow the news better here, and eavesdrop more effectively in shops, in pubs, on the street. Maybe it's just a changed perspective on my part. I'd been away 8 years, so maybe my recollections were less than accurate. I always looked at it as having left for good, not just being away for the length of a contract, so there was no incentive to keep my memories fresh.

I'm glad to be escaping again but, like others, have family & friends here, and a house, so there's minor anxiety about how others will fare, and the long-term value of my property. On the bright side, though, it'll not be a wrench to leave again. Plus, the savings that funded my 'year off' and studying for another Masters, were in Sterling and would only have devalued as the pound fell had I not spent them!