1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone not teach to the framework for literacy?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon3106, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Just wondering whether there are teachers out there who don't use the literacy framework? I'm an NQT so everything I've ever done has been from the framework, however I'm considering doing play scripts with my Year 5s which would mean diverting from the framework. Any advice?

2. Just wondering whether there are teachers out there who don't use the literacy framework? I'm an NQT so everything I've ever done has been from the framework, however I'm considering doing play scripts with my Year 5s which would mean diverting from the framework. Any advice?

3. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

You don't have to follow the framework. Most do I think to ensure coverage but we dip in and dip out especially as we have started to go topic based with our foundation subjects.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We don't. Not for maths or literacy.

We use the NC and teach the level just above the one our children are currently at. Well some of us do, some people teach the framework.

So long as children make progress in their writing the framework just provides a context for that writing. If you want to use a different context then you can.

If your whole school uses the framework religiously, you might want to check with your lit. co-ord first.

5. I hate it, but we still use it unfortunately.
    I like to teach a range of different text types linked with a topic or story - so Id like to do letters, newspaper reports, stories, recounts, etc etc all within the same 'unit' of work and I hate how prescriptive the framework is.
    Im currently meant to be doing 4 weeks of information texts with Y2 and Ive just about managed to get 2 weeks work out of it. We do not need to spend days and days reading/sorting/discussing features of non-fiction texts. I want to get them writing and although I appreciate the importance of speaking and listening I think the framework places far too much emphasis on it and dont think that children should be spending whole weeks just speaking and listening and reinacting I think it should be mixed in as part of lessons that involve writing. I dont like the way the phases are set out.
    I also dont agree with teaching so many different genre types to KS1 children when some of them cannot yet form a sentence (ie Y1). I think KS1 teachers should be left to concentrate on the basics, introduce the difference between fiction and non-fiction and left to teach literacy in a way that suits the childrens interests.

6. anotherfinemess

anotherfinemess New commenter

It sounds like you need to have a serious word with your Literacy co-ordinator, impulce. I totally agree with everything you've said and we've ditched the Framework entirely in our school. We do a different fiction and non-fiction unit each term (exactly what to be decided by the teacher) as well as poetry every other term, and we take our objectives from whatever they need to learn next to get the next stage in APP. It works really well as we're totally focused on the gaps in the children's knowledge rather that on a random set of objectives which may or may not be important. And of course it's a lot more fun to be able to do texts which excite us or fit in with topics. My Year 5s are doing Beowulf at the moment and loving it!