1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone mark functional skills?

Discussion in 'English' started by markuss, Mar 22, 2011.

1. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

I mark it for OCR (one of many marking assignments). OCR gives eight "windows" a year (I think Edexcel does, too) and so I get a query most months of the year about availability to work. The number of scripts I've had per session so far has varied from 80 to 318.
    The marking is straightforward. Mark scheme and standardisation routines are good. Checking attendance and entering the marks can be very time consuming, though - both done online. (The old fashioned way of having attendance registers and mark sheets - in alphabetical order was better!) Expect this will improve in time.
    At least the scripts come on paper. (Edexcel will be with computer screen and internet, I guess.)

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Should add that when I marked 318, that was Writing only - OCR does not now have the Writing tasks and Reading tasks in one Paper. I marked them in a week - didn't do much else!
    Because Centres are promised speedy delivery of results, marking time is short compared with, say GCSE.