1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone love it?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Siddz, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Siddz

Siddz New commenter

Yes, I love it! Like the OPs have said there are times where you feel really drained, but if you remember why you started training then the downsides pale in comparison to the reasons! Everyone feels the strain sometimes, even if they don't say it, but keep thinking positively. PMA is the best advice I've been given - Positive Mental Attitude.

2. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

The dynamics of the course is the problem not the teaching

3. I love teaching - even year 9! I have a job for September, and am really looking forward to it - although also quite scared.
    The
    thing that I have found stressful this year is the pressure from
    college. Tonight, my planning is done, my teaching was pretty stress
    free today, my uni tutor observed me and was really positive, and I'm on
    top (ish) of my marking. But the essay that's due on Monday is still
    unwritten, for yet another night. THAT's what I'm going to wake up in a
    cold sweat about at 4am.
    But I too have come late to teaching,
    and have no regrets at all. Still hate writing essays as much as I did
    20 years ago though!
    Good luck, and enjoy it.

4. <font size="2">Thank you everyone for your kind reassuring words. I'm feeling very excited now and am itching to get started</font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">Lucy x</font>

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I LOVE teaching its the politics etc that always seem to cause a problem. I now teach in Uni and I LOVE it (even more than Secondary), its the best job I've ever had just praying the funding is still there so I can stay next year. Don't worry people just need to let of steam, PGCE is very hard but rewarding xx

6. I love teaching wholeheartedly! The downside to the course is the sheer quantities of paperwork, but otherwise its amazing. You don't end up hating the kids, after all they are just kids, other teachers however......well.....some of them can be very derogatory towards trainees...

7. Lucy, I love it. I know others who also love it.
    Remember that everyone has different experiences, and hopefully yours will be fantastic.
    This has been the hardest year of my life so far, but by far the best.

My advice is always be well prepared and surround yourself with ethusiastic people, both in school and in uni.

Good luck, I hope you adore teaching.

Best wishes,
    Jennifer

8. It's a proper roller-coaster ride and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love it. I'm in my NQT year and found it a real shock to the system after everybody had said the PGCE was the hardest year, but I still love it. Prepare to be tired and to put your social life on the back burner for a while, but also prepare to have a ball. I still cry for a full day every six weeks or so but I think that's more to do with my mental issues...ha!

9. I'll add my thoughts also,
    I am about to finish my PGCE in a few months and although it is hard work, I always dedicated Saturday to "me time". I have had good days and bad days in my placements, but I love my subjects that I teach, I love the kids that I teach, and I am very happy doing what I do. The good days get me through the bad ones.
    At the end of one particularly horrendous day, I came home and marked my year 10 papers. During these 2 hours, I was ecstatic to see that every pupil learned what I wanted them to learn, with others going off and exploring more aspects. I reflected upon this and thought, wow they were motivated to learn more than I taught them...I put their grades into their assessment sheets and everyone hit their target grade, with most hitting their aspirational grade. At this point I felt like I was a teacher...I was useful; I brought change to a previous year 10 group that were failing.
    So yeah, I love teaching and I do not regret giving up my previous career to teach. Its hard work, but I am happy.

10. Thanks everyone, this is all so good to hear.

wheezysteve, you post has defo made me feel lots more positive now, its great to hear that you love the kids and your subject and that you feel the good outweighs the bad, this is something that I dont read every often but its so nice to see so many people being positive towards teaching and saying that they love it.
    I will give it a good go when I start in sept and hope that im saying the same things as everyone else this time next year (im sure I will be)
    Lucy