1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone know....

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by bluecharmer, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Who I would address my letter to for requesting maternity leave - obviously the head, but our head teacher is new this september. I'm guessing the old head? As she is technically still the head until the end of August isn't she (Teachers contracts run aug to aug i think)? I need to send it off pronto!

2. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

Hmm. I reckon it would be the new Head, this close to the new term. Is there no way you could date it for the first day you return to work and hand it over then? I know what you mean about the other Head technically still being in position, but I can't think that they need to know really; it's just something else to hand over - assuming they haven't already done the handing over.

3. Millie dog

Millie dog New commenter

Hi,
    I'm in a similar situation - new head starting in September. I wrote my letter back in June (I think!) as we were going through quite a few interviews and thought it might help with planning, and i'm starting maternity leave at October half term.
    I sent my letter to the new head - as i thought it would be her who would be affected by my leaving, but also sent a copy to the existing head and to the deputy head (I work in primary if that makes a difference!)
    Hope that helps!
    Millie x