1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

does anyone know where I stand with regards to holidays in term time?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by imc, Jul 11, 2010.

1. pirate2012

pirate2012 New commenter

Hi there,

Last year we won world cup football tickets and myself and my husband wanted to go to South Africa. I doubted that my school would let me, but I wrote a letter to the Governers requesting unpaid leave for 1 week and they agreed as it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. It really is at the discretion of the Governers and it is always worth asking as they are only human after all!

2. You seem to think that teachers don't have to do any work over the holidays, which is nuts!

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If by 'You' you mean me, I'm well aware that many teachers undertake school work during their holidays - I've spent a lot of mine doing exactly that.
    But the point is still that teachers are employed to be in front of their class(es) and wanting to dob out of the 190 days only that they are required to give lessons when they can arrange holidays within the many days they are not required to report to school is a bit of a cheek.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

welcome to TES, dan

5. Middlemarch

Yes, an interesting 'maiden post'.

6. one of very many on this thread!

7. It happens all the time in my school, every year the deputy head has the day off before we break up to get her long haul flight. People regularly have days off for friends weddings, to peruse hobbies.

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

bird-watching is great, isn't it - especially birds of prey ...

9. I'm starting a primary PGCE in September so thought I'd have a little browse on this site. I came across this post which I thought sounded interesting, but shocked at the arrogance and spitefulness of some of the posters! From what I could see, the person was asking for genuine advice and people's experience. Makes me wonder what I am letting myself in for. A profession where people are quick to judge, criticise and attack rather than offer words of wisdom, support and suggestions and maybe a quiet rebuke if they don't agree with the point of view? Uh oh, as a 'maiden' poster, I await the veterans' responses...

10. Having just read this thread from start to finish I have to say I wish middlemarch worked on my staff. I've read many of her comments over a long period of time and am continually impressed by the professionalism and depth of knowledge and experience shown. If only all teachers were as committed and dedicated, not work shy fops.

11. Is Middlemarch not a head teacher?

12. Yes, she is.

13. Middlemarch

'She' didn't have a view any different when she was a scale 1 teacher, however. Nor could she afford to go abroad for the first six years she was teaching, either - but then, relative salaries were somewhat lower for teachers than they are now.
    I find it interesting that people come on to a public forum and boo-hoo when they meet with views somewhat in opposition to their own. There does seem to be a notion abroad that all teachers should agree with all other teachers and if they don't they're being 'spiteful' or 'bullying'. Get a grip, especially if you're new to teaching - because if you're so offended by a contrary point of view on an anonymous forum, you've seen nothing compared to what you're likely to come up against from the people you teach and their parents.
    So, I'll try again. Expressing the view that it's a cheek to ask for time off during term to get cheaper flights is not 'spiteful' - it's MY OPINION.

14. After 20 years of teaching/leading/consulting + advising heads + schools I totally agree middlemarch (apologies I didn't mean to patronise you when I said wished you worked with my staff - it was a hypothetical thing - your attitude not you 'per se') these young'uns will toughen up in time......I Remember lack of foreign hols in first 5 years though too!