1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

does anyone know where I stand with regards to holidays in term time?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by imc, Jul 11, 2010.

1. We are not paid for all of our 65 days holiday!

2. Yes but most of the 170 days are taken up planning and all the other *** that goes with the teaching profession. They're not real holidays, just time to do all the bureaucracy.

3. eread1

eread1 New commenter

and to just add a spanner into the works - not necessarily in response to OP but generally about holidays and teachers - us being 'paid' for our holidays is only our wages spread out over the year to cover the time we are not in school. Holiday pay? hmmmm

4. I think it might be someone from Panorama, good old teacher bashing is becoming a national sport.

5. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Speak for yourself! I have never done school work in holiday time and never will. I've been teaching for 21 years and in that time, have developed good time management so that school work is done during term time, in school.

6. I wouldn't bother lardy....you will only get slagged off by the random 'one post' posters.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Out of curiosity lardylady, what stage do you teach, what proportion of your timetable is taken up with teaching, and what hours can you access your school ?

8. I am the same as lardy, so....I teach Primary. Timetable is all teaching, apart from PPA obviously. Get to school 7.15 to 7.30 and leave any time between 4.00 and 6.00 depending on what I need to do. At the weekend I spend about 20 minutes just checking through the stuff for the week ahead, as I have normally had brain drain between my PPA and the weekend.

9. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I teach in KS1. Most mornings I arrive at about 7.30, and tend to leave around 5pm although school is open until 5.30pm. I get 2 hours a week PPA and the rest is teaching, apart from a couple of half hour assemblies a week, one of which teachers don't have to attend.

10. I wish I had assemblies for time! Unfortunately have to attend all of them because I play the piano. Drives me mad when outside consultants tell me to do xy and z with certain children during assembly time and then huff when I tell them I can't!

11. This is the first time I have posted and I think I would be inclined to think twice before posting with a question. It is not a case of being a 'one post' poster, it is just having read this post I would have hoped that replies from more experienced 'posters' such as yourself would be more constructive and less judgemental. The word hypocrite about 'slagging ' springs to mind having read some of your previous posts. As stated by other people earlier in the thread every case should be treated individually. You don't know the situation of the original poster and therefore I think you could have shown a bit more tact in your answers as an experienced poster!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Thanks for that.
    I work in secondary. In by 8 and leave by 4.30 to 5.30 depending on when I have to pick up my children. Usually get 5 hours of non contact periods per week. Setting/marking a homework per week for 7/8 classes per academic year ... several external (national) exam classes. (marking can take from about 30 minutes per class up to about 2 hours depending on level.) We have a couple of parental reports to write per year for each class. We also have numerous bureaucratic form filling exercises, and development work to address (new workbooks/homework sheets/differentiated work/meetings etc.)
    If we add on spending time with pupils, going over work outside class time, any meetings concerning pupils etc. .... even the minimum time required to fulfill basic responsibilities exceeds the time available in school. I don't assert that this is true of every subject for every week of the year.
    If we choose to ... or are, "asked to", by senior management or sometimes by pupils ... also become involved with clubs/committees, organisation of external trips, visiting speakers etc. ... we need to prioritise.
    I don't doubt that your efficiency, experience and circumstances enable you to do little/no work outside school time but I can't fulfill my basic responsibilites in school time never mind the extra work I choose to take on ... and I'm considered to be good at time management.
    BTW, I normally spend some time each evening and at the weekends during term ... "catching up", and the majority of my holidays ... I do anything but schoolwork.

13. It depends very much on your HT
    I was let off a day early at Christmas to go to a party in Paris - it was my HT's suggestion that I have the day of rather than rushing from work to get a flight that evening.
    Good luck![​IMG]

14. IF WE ALL WORKED SO HARD ALL OF THE TIME WE WOULDN'T BE SAT CHEWING THE FAT ON 'ERE!!!

and on that note I'm off to peruse my facebook account. End of CHAT

Hopefully
    Mwah xx

15. Sounds like Middlemarch is jealous of the easy time that teachers have of it. If Middlemarch thinks that it is such a wonderful deal, maybe Middlemarch should study to become a teacher.

16. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

She did exactly that between 1980 and 1981. What on earth makes you think she didn't? Nor has she suggested teachers have 'an easy time of it' - simply that we all know what the score is when we take a job which only requires us to go into work on 195 days a year, leaving 170 clear for us to organise our holidays in.
    You can have a view that people ought not to want time off from the 195 days they're required to report to school AND still be a teacher, you know. Read the thread carefully - I'm not the only one thinking it's a diabolical liberty.

17. You should teach in Australia.... we have paid leave as well as our forced holidays!!! one of my colleagues just went to America for 3 weeks holiday during our school term. Its great for our casual teachers who jump at the work.....

18. I like the idea of 'forced' holidays!

19. I am a Governor, and a couple of years ago asked for an extra day off at Easter for just this purpose for my two boys. I was told by the Head that to grant this would set a bad example, even though my children had otherwise 100% attendance.

We were refused the extra day off, and as a result, did not take the holiday we planned.

Was very cross when I discovered that another family with 4 kids were granted 10 days off in term time as its too expensive to take them in the holidays. Fuming would be more accuate actually!

20. Was it granted as authorised or unauthorised absence?