1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

does anyone know where I stand with regards to holidays in term time?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by imc, Jul 11, 2010.

1. imc

imc

It would be down to the discretion of the governors (headteacher), some heads do this as a mater of good will but many will not as it sets a precedent for other staff wanting to do this.

2. Will all depend on the contract, the HT and the governors. You may find that you have to write a request in writing to the chair of governors.
    Don't get your hopes up though. A colleague of mine wrote to the governors requesting a friday afternoon off unpaid to attend her best friends wedding and her request was rejected. She would have been better off just ringing in sick!

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Your school will probably have a policy on this. At our school the policy is that we can take a day off unpaid for family events like weddings or graduations, but we are not allowed time off just for holidays. People just end up keeping schtumn about their holiday arrangements and then ringing in sick.

4. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Imagine keeping quiet and then having another volcanic ash fiasco. Doesn't seem worth the risk to me. I'd worry all holiday about the dishonesty of it.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

And the mystery as to why teachers aren't respected more just goes on and on.
    Only having to report for work a maximum of 195 days is obviously too much for some folk.

6. What message does this send to the children and parents when they are told they are not allowed holidays in school time. In some areas the parents are "fined" for taking their children out of school for holidays.

7. Thanks for all of your replies, I don't really want to take any time off I actually really love my job, what frustrates me is the price difference in coming back a day earlier, as most of the flights are full they only have premium priced seats left and we are talking £1000's extra! I would happily make up the time, but realistically dont know when that would happen, I would never not tell them and ring in sick - you're right I would worry all holiday! May test the water with my head who is very supportive and understanding - if i dont have their support I wont even try going to the governors!
    Thanks

8. Good luck! Like you I begrudge paying the extra money because we can't choose when we take our holidays. If your head is supportive then maybe she will understand and allow you to take the day.

9. Middlemarch

Everyone is affected by it if they are employed as a teacher. So, following your logic, what if every teacher in every school decided they wanted the first or last day of term off? Or more than one day? Should it be granted by the 'supportive' head? If s/he says 'Yes' to this request, s/he is duty bound to accede to any and all future requests.
    The truth is that not being able to take advantage of cheaper holidays is the price you pay for being a teacher. On the other hand, you get 170 days a year when you don't have to go in to work.

10. I I know everything you said is correct I didn't say it was something I would do. I am just showing support for a colleague. What about all the extra hours that we put in that we don't get paid for. This is a one off not an every year occurrence.

11. Middlemarch

You miss the point - it won't be a 'one off' if the head grants it and a load of other staff request it.
    Moreover, who says it would be a 'one off'? The fares will still be more expensive inside school holidays afterwards, teachers will still complain about it and questions like this - and requests for EXTRA days of holiday (because that's what it is) will continue to be submitted to heads.

12. That issue is not exclusive to teachers, so is a bit of a pointless argument to put forward.
    As middlemarch stated, we get a lot of time off for the 'pleasure' of being a teacher.

13. poet

poet New commenter

Just thought i'd add that my head is amazing with this stuff and this year allowed me 3 days off to attend a wedding in OZ. HT is very understanding and seems to take the view that if you put in the hard yards throughout the year (and they are HARD yards at times!) then within reason, it's ok. Works for us!
    ask your head OP.

14. Weddings often fall under a different category to 'family holiday because it is cheaper'.

15. frustum

frustum Established commenter

Heads are often understanding when there is a one-off situation (eg weddings overseas, long distance trip to see family), but "we'd like to go to Florida" isn't really in that category. Be glad that your choice is between extortionate fares to Florida and slightly less extortionate ones to, say, Europe. When I was a kid, the question was whether we could afford to go to Cornwall.
    The one-off situation can be justified, but without an exceptional reason, it could open the floodgates for everyone to make similar requests, so a head would be foolish to agree.
    The pricing of flights is indeed frustrating. In our case, the peak rates mean that my husband's next business trip is going to have to be three days longer (and use up two weekends), as they want him there for the first week of the school holidays.

16. Surely it is whether there is mutual respect between the head and staff. I and others have been allowed time off for specific events either unpaid or grouped PPA. At the same time the head knows that everybody puts themselves out for everything at school when its necessary. There were more people in school at 10.00 at night pre ofsted than in the day time.

17. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I requested a day off unpaid to attend my best friend's wedding. Luckily, my head has allowed me to attend but another friend, who's a teacher elsewhere, was shocked I'd asked and said she would have called in sick so she could have been paid. But that's not me, I suppose. I would have worried that someone from school would see photos on FB, or I'd let something slip, and that would have been horrible.

18. Middlemarch

So can we clarify: a 'one-off' event, such as a family wedding, does come under the heading of 'things for which a request might reasonably made for time off during term-time, which the ehad might agree to, all things being equal'.
    Wanting to get cheaper flights for your family holiday definitely doesn't come into that category, risks opening floodgates to other staff requests and - whilst having to pay more is irksome - you've got the choice to go somewhere else if the price is too much.
    But asking for extra days off in term time just because you fancy a particular holiday falls into the category of 'You're having a laugh, surely?' Can you imagine the response from some parents if they knew?

19. I cannot believe this made it as a thread! Can you imagine someones reaction if a surgeon cancelled your cancer operation because he fancied a few cheap days in the sun??!!! Or if your lawyer called sick the day of your divorce because he found a deal on Lastminute.com
    Soldiers work 24/7 when they are on operations for about 11 grand a year. They dont get to call in sick. There is a reason why they dont get bashed in the media every other day for incompetence, and it is their attitude to work.
    People are professional or they are not. Simple really.

20. inky

inky Lead commenter

There are perks and drawbacks in our job. Learn to live with them.