1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone know how to disapply children from the phonics screening check?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by R13, Apr 2, 2012.

1. R13

R13 New commenter

<font size="2" face="Comic Sans MS" color="#000000">Does anyone know how to disapply children from the phonics screening check in a special school situation where all pupils have statements and severe and complex learning difficulties?</font><font size="2" face="Comic Sans MS" color="#000000"></font>

2. R13

R13 New commenter

<font size="2" face="Comic Sans MS" color="#000000">Does anyone know how to disapply children from the phonics screening check in a special school situation where all pupils have statements and severe and complex learning difficulties?</font><font size="2" face="Comic Sans MS" color="#000000"></font>

3. Why don't you want the child to be screened? Will she/he go ballistic? Is he/she untestable?
    Is there some reason that you think the test will give false results? Talk to your head.

4. R13

R13 New commenter

Thanks for the questions.
    I am the Head
    I don't want the children screened because they have severe and profound learning difficulties - at its crudest that might mean that a child of seven years old might have a mental age of between 3 months and 4 years. Carrying out a screening test to show they don't have age appropriate skills is meaningless

5. Who do you ultimately supply the results to? The LEA?
    Call someone there in the SEN department and ask.

6. R13

R13 New commenter

Thanks for trying Hollyleaf but I would have done this if it was an LA thing.
    This is a new statutory arrangement and I was hoping not to have to read through dozens of pages of DfE guidance and legal papers by finding a colleague who had done this already - not to worry - I've contacted the powers that be to try and sort this out the long way as perhaps I should have done originally. Unfortunately our more severe end of SEN is typically forgotten by the DfE amongst others

7. inq

inq

From what I can gather you use professional judgement to disapply and type in the relevant code when you submit results, you are expected to tell parents - but it probably won't come as a great surprise to them.