1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone know how many working hous per weeK?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by teacher0, Jan 13, 2016.

1. teacher0

teacher0 New commenter

Does anyone know how many working hours per week we should be working? Also does this include PPA time or exclude it? I am currently working part time at a school and have been asked to teach more lessons.
    On the internet I have been given a variety of answers and even rang my union who were not sure how many hours per week.

Thank You

JeannieMc likes this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The directed time budget for full-time is 1265 hours. So for a 0.6 calculate 60% of that. However that is just directed time.

Your 10% PPA should be guaranteed BUT it is expected that you will take longer than that in the professional execution of your duties.

Ask for the school's directed time budget. It should have been published for the whole year in the first week.

You will then see when you must be on the premises for teaching and meetings etc.

If your extra lessons eat into your 10% PPA time then you refuse.

JeannieMc likes this.
  3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Although that depends if the school still uses the standard pay and conditions, it might vary quite a bit under different systems/contracts.
    So the OP should check their contract first to see what their terms are.

JeannieMc likes this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yes, I was speaking from my bog-standard non-academy experience.

Check what you may have signed up to.

RedQuilt likes this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If you are working on STPCD conditions there's guidance on pages 92 and 93 of STPCD 2015 on how part time hours are calclated

6. JRiley1

JRiley1 Established commenter

Yes you should have a list of all the directed time you are required and this can vary slightly; it can include meetings, parent teacher interview times, all the hours you must be in class e.g 8:30-3:15 (as this is when kids are in obviously we do more than that!) At my last school it also included an after school club as we were required to run one.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Surely if you teach more lessons, your % rises - unless you were running very light.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you happen to be on 0.6 part time, your teaching time should be 60% of that of a full time member of staff with not extra time off for a management role (I am assuming that you do not have one of these). So, as pointed out by @phlogiston , you shoud not be given more lessons unless you were doing less the correct proportion of the teaching done by a full time teacher. Or, I suppose, if everybody is asked to teach more lessons.

Assuming STPCD, there is a limit on directed time, but not on working time.