1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone know how many people have gone through Capability and survived?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by slingshotsally, Feb 13, 2011.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I was just wondering about this..
    I asked Union rep and he said that no-one he knows has ever gone through Capabilty let alone survived it.
    Does anyone else know any different?
    BPG

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

It probably depends on why you are on it.

4. I know of somebody who did survive, but following the experience, he was constantly plagued by self doubt and low self esteem so eventually left teaching, shame he was a great teacher, a bit outspoken but nevertheless a great teacher.

5. becky70

becky70 New commenter

What do you mean by survived? If you mean keep their job at the school that put them on capability then I imagine that will be rare - the only case I know of where that happened is when the head left.
    I can't really say I went through capability as I handed my notice in straight away but it's the path I would have been going down. It has been a tough few years since but I do have a temporary post at a school now and I'm very happy there.

6. I'm struggling to understand why your union rep would say such a thing. It isn't supportive or helpful. If he doesn't know anyone who has gone through it, he really isn't qualified to discuss how people come out of the other end. A stupidly insensitive thing to say in my view.
    Yes, people have survived, and come out of the other side with a career. It's impossible to say anything about how your situation might turn out, because we don't know anything about it.
    Seek advice from a union rep who knows what they're talking about, and be honest about the situation. If there are problems with your teaching, you'll need to work on it.

7. slingshotsally

Hi all,
    Thanks for replying.
    The reason for capbiltiy is not my teaching thankfully. Most of my lesson observations (of which I've had 6 since September until December) have been good with features of outstanding. I am having a 7th next week as well.
    It's mainly due to missed deadlines and because I haven't kept up my marking. Why? Well my son has severe breathing difficulties and has been in a&e at least 8 times since july 2010 and been subsequently admitted 6 times with stays of a minimum 2 to maximum 4 days.
    Whilst in hospital he had to have 2 hrly nebulisers, which the nurses leave the parent to do as it takes ages to administer. On his release this regimen continues- so 2 hrly inhalers night and day.
    As you can imagine all this has taken a considerable toll on me phyisically, emotionally and professionally. Although I asked for part time it was refused- so now I am faced with the inevitable Capabibility process.
    In my situation what would you do? Take the settlement? Stick it out? So much of the out come depends on how much the SMT actually want you to succeed. If they cared at all they would have agreed to Part time- since they didn't, it can only be assumed they have no interest in a successful outcome....
    Please forward your advice. I do appreciate it.
    BPG

8. You poor thing, what a horrible thing to happen. I'm so sorry about this and about your son. Like you say, if SMT wanted you to succeed they would have agreed to let you work part time (I know some SMT do care by the way, I am not knocking them all just in case any nice HTs are reading this!)
    Okay well, my advice ie what I would do in this situation would be to start looking for other jobs straight away, I think you have been treated horribly and must be worried sick.
    I also agree with Ceinwyn, I am surprised the union said that to you. Also and I could be wrong but don't you have to be put on "informal" capability procedures before formal ones? Are you at the informal stage? If so would now be a bad time to add to your family, if you see what I mean?
    Take care x

9. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Did they say why they refused part time and did you make it clear that you were asking due to the medical needs of your child? Personally I'd seek legal advice from an employment solicitor quietly to see what my rights were, even if I decided that I wanted to leave as it could help you put together a case for the settlement.
    Have you been to OH and explained how this has had an impact on you as they may make recommendations to the school.
    Ask for support from higher up in the union.
    It could be that your easiest option is to get a settlement and a personalised reference, so that you can get a part time job or supply.

10. You need the expert advice and support of your union. They will be able to tell you if your settlement is reasonable and negotiate that for you. They will tell you how to proceede.
    Once you feel strong enough you can look for supply work or another job in a more supportive school.
    Good luck.

11. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Your HT is not allowed to use your family life to discriminate against you; it is called 'discrimination by association' if you have a dependent with a disability and is illegal.
    As Torey says, seek legal advise

SSx

12. In East Sussex from 2004 to 2009 136 teachers left schools under compromise agreements, while 25 survived competency procedures, if that is any indication.
    source:
    http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/user/newell_fisher
    I make that about 5/1, assuming that all the CA's were over Competency. Why not ask your LA the same questions?
    More to the point is why the unions seem to go along with the corrupt system of compromise agreements, which either result in an incompetent teacher carrying on elsewhere or a competent teacher having to leave a school for reasons other than competency (such as bullying).

13. What are the other options for the competent teachers? Do they stay and be bullied, or fight and at best the Head gets a 'slap on the wrist' that no one else is even allowed to know about? 'Cause I bet the number of heads who get into trouble for bullying is even lower than all of the other figures.
    Unions suggest it to protect their members and ensure they dont end up off sick with stress or resigning with no references.
    I agree its not ideal, but until the scales are weighted in favour of those who want to stand up to a bullying Head then there's little choice. [​IMG]

14. slingshotsally

Hi All,
    Thanks to Mr Awkward and Flowerpot for their replies. I had to make a choice for my sanity so I left. When the HT has refused you part time work twice (which would have been the only way I could have managed to do everything I needed to and still have time for my son), it is pretty clear HT isn't really interested in seeing you in their School at all.
    Just to let you know- Friday 18th February was my last day.
    I have a couple of things to finish off, which I will do this week. I now need to make a plan, so I dusted off the CV and updated it as well.
    Since making a few calls this morning, I arranged a meeting with Supply agency for Friday.
    However I am a bit worried as I have not seen a reference and I just wondered how soon it may be ready. I will need it for Friday (or very soon). Do you think I should go via the Union or just wait a little longer for it?
    Is there anything else I could do? Any suggestions would be wonderful.
    BPG

15. BPG - even though its hard, try and think of it as a new start, and a chance to perhaps take more time to do the things you want.
    As for references, when I contacted a supply agency they said present and previous employer references were needed, but I assume they contact the employers for them rather than you having to provide them.
    I'd explain the situation to the supply agency and I'd ask them to let you know if they don't get it and then contact union asap.

Good luck for the future x

16. becky70

becky70 New commenter

No further advice, BPG - I think flowerpot has given very good advice - but want to wish you best of luck for the future. Sure you will be much happier in the future.

17. Nothing else from me other than wishing you the best of luck x

18. I want to say good luck, too - and say that you should go forward with confidence and assertiveness as you are clearly a very good teacher who will offer a lot. You also show you're hardworking and dedicated - and will do everything you can to be a successful teacher for any school who will support you and look after you. I sank in a school that did not look after staff (not due to dependents - simply stress and poor management practices) but am thriving in one that takes care of staff (even though I am now a parent with other committments).
    Your school were totally out of order - I think that, if you can pursue anything with out feeling too much anger and too drained you should look at the 'by association' thing someone mentioned earlier. I understand the wanting to move on and let it go, though, too.
    Anyway good luck and I hope that things go well for you professionally... but even more so I hope that your lovely little boy's health improves as it must be the most difficult thing in the world to watch him go through all that. I know you're a stranger but this thread has touched me and I really feel for you as my LO had severe bronchiolitis for a month and had to be agressively treated-but luckily it was short lived and ok.

19. slingshotsally

Hi Beachhut,
    Thanks for your good wishes and sharing about your son. Bronchiolitis is what is causing so many problems for my son too. It is a nightmare and I am so relieved that I live in a country that provided free emergency healthcare. Before he was born I was thinking of teaching abroad, but his health has put paid to that idea!
    I just wanted to ask if your head teacher can ask you to put the current deputy as a second referee. I am in the process of signing up with a number of agencies and references have been requested. I went in to work the other day to finish off a couple of jobs and tie up loose ends, when the HT invited me into the office- next thing I know HT asked me why I had asked X member of staff to give me a reference. Why didn't I choose the DHT as then the agreed ref would be sent out?
    The whole conversation seemed odd to me- after all the reason 2 references are requested is to make sure the future employer has opinions from different people. If both refences were returned and said exactly the same thing (as Agreed Reference part of compromise agreement would) then it would be very odd. However this is what HT was suggesting.
    Why would the HT want me to not have other people as references- I worked at the same school close to a decade and they have known me longer.
    Any ideas about this would be helpful- I am perplexed and have written to my union but I don't want this to hold up any future chances of employment.
    BPG