1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone know Edinburgh well? Please could you recommend a nice area to live?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by deleted477, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Hello! Folks have always been lovely and helpful whenever I've come on here, so hopefully I'll get the same response this time!
    To cut a long story short, my husband has a new job in Edinburgh...not quite city centre, but out towards Leith. He is renting a flat near the city centre while our young children and I are left behind down South trying to sell our house :-( We had always intended to live in Glasgow as this is 'home' to us. However, we are now considering Edinburgh in order to cut short Mr D's commuting time (and hopefully get more quality family time in the process!)
    Where is a nice place to live? Where has good schools? Correct me if I'm wrong but some of the best schools (eg. Lenzie, Williamwood, Mearns Castle, Jordanhill) all seem to be out Glasgow way. Or am I just being biased ;-) It's true that I know Glasgow much better than Edinburgh.

My only real prerequisite is that I'd like to be 'in the thick of things' and close to amenities. Having lived for a few years now in a new build development which is miles from anywhere, I'd love to now be within walking distance or easy public transport distance of the city centre. I know this will be pricey, but o/h would save a small fortune in commuting costs. What is Leith like, for example?

I look forward to hearing from you, and thanks in anticipation.

2. Hello! Folks have always been lovely and helpful whenever I've come on here, so hopefully I'll get the same response this time!
    To cut a long story short, my husband has a new job in Edinburgh...not quite city centre, but out towards Leith. He is renting a flat near the city centre while our young children and I are left behind down South trying to sell our house :-( We had always intended to live in Glasgow as this is 'home' to us. However, we are now considering Edinburgh in order to cut short Mr D's commuting time (and hopefully get more quality family time in the process!)
    Where is a nice place to live? Where has good schools? Correct me if I'm wrong but some of the best schools (eg. Lenzie, Williamwood, Mearns Castle, Jordanhill) all seem to be out Glasgow way. Or am I just being biased ;-) It's true that I know Glasgow much better than Edinburgh.

My only real prerequisite is that I'd like to be 'in the thick of things' and close to amenities. Having lived for a few years now in a new build development which is miles from anywhere, I'd love to now be within walking distance or easy public transport distance of the city centre. I know this will be pricey, but o/h would save a small fortune in commuting costs. What is Leith like, for example?

I look forward to hearing from you, and thanks in anticipation.

3. I'd check out www.espc.co.uk first and see where you can afford within your budget.

In Edinburgh, there are many nice areas which cover your requirements. What type of schools are you after? Private or state for example?

Once you have a look on the espc if you see somewhere you fancy let me know on hotmail and I can try to give you a clue as to how close things are are what type of area it is. Hope that helps for now. We can chat further on hotmail later if you're free. :)

4. Is your husband intending to use a car to get to his work - if so this may well determine where you choose to live. If he is going to use public transport (which in my opinion is probably the best bus system in Scotland) then that gives you a little more scope. Primary schools secondary or both?

Best public schools in Edinburgh (IMO) are Boroughmuir (I would say that as it is my old school), Gillespies, Balerno, Royal High and Trinity. However, it would probably be better to give a list of schools to avoid (I know that sounds terrible) - and like areas across the country the poorest and most difficult schools tend to be in areas of social deprivation (although not always). If your children are of primary school age then you need to look at the feeder primary schools for each of these.

If using car then probably be better to be on the north side of the city either east or west. Davidsons Mains springs to mind as does Trinity and Inverleith- good schools and fairly easy traveling from there to Leith. Corstorphine - also good housing also ti the east Portobello and Graigentinny (parts). Your budget is a major factor.

I am much more familiar with the south and west of the city and there are loads of nice areas to live: Graiglockhart, Polwarth, Shandon, Colinton, Currie, Balerno, Morningside, Buckstone and all have good primary and secondary schools and are with easy traveling of the city by-pass. Traveling to Leith from here would be more problematic. However, public transport is excellent and probably quicker than car.

Many people commute from East Lothian, West Lothian and Midlothian worth considering as housing is cheaper. Lots of building going on in East Lothian and Midlothian where there is promise of a light rail link to Edinburgh and the Borders.

5. I stayed for a few years down at Joppa and portobello - nice beaches (lots of nice front line houses and flats) and not too far from Leith (2 miles along the coast). Good buses to the city centre.
    As always with Edinburgh, the prices are a major consideration.
    Other nice family areas - Cramond,(further out) Morningside, Marchmont, Sciennes, Newington (all near city centre and great play facilities at the Meadows)

6. Thanks SO MUCH everyone for your helpful and informative advice.
    This is all a bit 'pie in the sky' at the moment, but I have visions of living really close to the city centre so that we can enjoy all the amenities. It would just be so ideal if Mr D could walk to work. He has been commuting from Essex to London for years now, and we want this move to be a positive change for the whole family. Yes, the buses in Edinburgh seem excellent. There was a steady stream of them going down Leith Walk and they looked very well used. Good on people! Not only is it less hassle and better for the environment, but I don't drive anyway!
    Do any of you know St. Mary's Primary in Leith? Is the feeder high school any good? Where would the best place to be near the city centre schooling-wise? State school would be best, otherwise saving on commuter costs from Glasgow is just a false economy!

Sorry for all the questions. I grew up in Glasgow and have family members living and teaching there, but I don't have a network like that in Edinburgh. Many thanks indeed!
    Oh, if it helps, our budget is anything in the region of 300-400K.
    Jen xx
    P.S. yes, the espc is a brill link GG, as is the gspc for Glasgow. Glaikit me only just made that connection! Am I right in saying that not so many people use Rightmove in Scotland? So glad to hear that all is going well for you. You'll have your 'Sold' sign up in no time at all :) Wish I could say the same for us!!

7. Anywhere close to the bus route 22 as this goes from The Gyle shopping centre all the way to Leith. As well as this is the route the new trams will eventually take. Primary Schools- Gylemuir is excellent, Davidsons Mains and Corstorphine are good as well. Fox Covet is smaller but also has a good reputation. High School wise, St Augustines is good, Royal High and Boroughmuir are good too. I agree with earlier post it would probably be better to say which ones to avoid. A lot of the posters will have their own reasons for mentioning a particular school. In this area there is a large shopping mall, trains and buses into town, and direct links to the M9 and M8.
    Most schools are also happy for you to visit so if you see a house you like contact the local schools.
    Good Luck with the search.

8. Many thanks for your help.
    If anyone would like to mention any schools/areas I should avoid, please feel free!

9. I live in the heart of Leith.
    It's a truly eclectic part of Edinburgh - parts of it are gorgeous, parts not so gorgeous. If these things matter to you it's undergoing enormous 'regeneration', especially down at the docks which is an area riddled with 'luxury apartments'. Saying that, the regeneration is taking over in a way I'm not particularly thrilled with but I suppose that's another thread. There is a large asian/polish/czech community, also carribean, though they are the minority.
    Plenty of undesirables live in Leith, but I guess they'll slowly be edged out as rents and prices rise to fit in with the area's new yuppy image.

10. By 'undesirables' I mean neds, not immigrants.

11. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

Try Canonmills, Stockbridge and Comely Bank. Easy access to centre and some beautful scenery (very close to Botanics).

12. I liked Leith. It's the kind of cool, funky, studenty place I wouldn't mind living in. (despite the graffiti and homeless people ;o) ) Plenty of shops and eateries! A bit like the West End of Glasgow, so that's good :)

As is always the case with kids though, schools can dominate the decision!

Do you know St. Mary's, CK?

13. cool, thanks xmal

14. This really has been enormously useful everyone. I felt like I was in the dark before, if you know what I mean. Thanks again xx

15. Parts of Leith are pretty scary!! I have taught in a number of schools in the area (Lorne St, Bonnington, Leith Walk) - great schools to teach in but each has their fair share of problems.
    I do not know St Mary's, however it is situated near the Links with some fine Victorian Terraces. Seafield Road, Salemander Street area around Great Junction Street, Constitution Street, etc. perhaps less savoury! Is an RC school important to you?

I am biased I know, but I do think that the best schools in Edinburgh are to be found on the west and south west of the city.

16. St Marys the primary school? Yes, it's across the links. Seems nice. Not a primary teacher so I don't know what it's like as a school (I tend to pay more attention to secondary schools) However, I know people who's kids go there and have never heard them complain.
    Leith Walk primary is supposed to be excellent.

17. Have a look at the HMIe site for Inspection Reports for all schools in Edinburgh.

http://www.hmie.gov.uk/default.aspx

There are 2 St Mary's in Edinburgh one in Leith and one in London Street.

18. Brilliant, thanks.

19. Jenny you sound like a Newington person to me, think you'd like it. I did.

20. I envisage you in a 'garden' flat in the New Town somewhere. Don't know about schools, though...

But I know if it were me I'd need a larger garden, and some off-street, or at least unrestricted, parking, as in Inverleith, where I grew up many decades ago. And I do like my own roof!