1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone know anywhere where there are edexcel mock papers for the "A" syllabus?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by ttillier, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Good evening everyone

I am a tutor and have got a couple of students who are sitting the new edexcel syllabus maths papers - they are just about to enter into Year 11 and i have had requests from the students to do some practice papers. I have found 1 mock paper on the edexcel website - is there anywhere else i can look. I know its probably unlikely because it is a new syllabus but any possible places would be most welcome :)

Its the non modular one that edexcel are offering - 1 calculator and 1 non calcualator at the end of the course

2. madoldbat

madoldbat New commenter

I haven't got any mocks yet but I imagine Edexcel will make them available during term 1

3. You can get some papers from the Maths Emporium from Edexcel.
    www.edexcelmaths.com
    You will need to register and once they've verified your details you should be able to log in and get some materials for Foundation and Higher.
    I think the code on the papers is 1MA0 for Linear specification A. If that is the case, then they have mock papers, practice papers and specimen papers. There are marks schemes for these too.
    Hope these are the correct materials.

4. When changing syllabus/specification over the years Edexcel has produced some or all of the following:
    • Sample Assessment Materials
    • Specimen Papers
    • Mock Papers
    • Practice Papers
    These vary in their quality and, after an awkward situation a couple of spec-changes ago they no longer provide grade boundaries for mock or practice papers (basically, they set the boundaries for the mock papers too high, all the kids "failed" the mock exam, everyone went ballistic, Edexcel pointed out that they were only trying to help).
    To access these you need to be an Edexcel centre (ie a school/college that enters pupils for Edexcel maths exams).
    It is fairly likely that your students' school(s) will be planning to use some of these with the students anyway. One possibility would be for you to contact the head of maths to ask whether they could let you have the other ones to use with your students. After all, you will be helping their results ...
    Alternatively, many of the questions will be in a similar style to old GCSE papers - you could use some past papers from an older spec too.

5. ah i have lots from the old syllabus so that is very helpful to know :) i worked in a school last year doing the "B" syllabus so hopefully the a isnt that different :)

Thank you :)

6. I think the main difference between the A (linear) and B (modular) specifications is the way they are examined. The content seems to me to be identical, so for your Linear students it would be as if they were taking all three modular exams at the same time (with the topics all jumbled up rather than doing all of the Stats/Prob at the start!).

7. You can get some papers from the Maths Emporium from Edexcel.

I could be wrong but private tutors don't have access to this information since they don't have access to valid education centres, or what ever they are termed.