1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone know anything about the "Early Years Professional Status"?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Teacher_Jen, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

EYPS is a status rather than a qualification for those working with children birth to five and has been around for a few years now.
    EYPS and QTS, are both professional statuses, but are based on a different set of skills and knowledge. It is important to note that EYPS and QTS are not interchangeable. So you can't teach in a school with EYPS unless you also have QTS
    You will find more information on the Child Workforce Development Council website

2. Thank you for that helpful information.
    So what would I be qualified to do? Teach early years but if not in a school then where? It does say being a graduate helps. To be honest its my plan B just in case pgce or gtp doesn't work out.

3. Msz

You must have a degree to gain EYPS however you also require experience of working with the age group as the validation process involves demonstrating you meet the standards in your own practice.
    check out the FAQ
    EYPS doesn't qualify you to teach (and doesn't have the same pay and conditions)

4. hurny

hurny New commenter

I was a pre-school manager and was going to do the EYPS after my BA in Early Childhood Studies but was advised not to by an EY advisor because at the time it wasn't really clear what the status was for.....and I think it still isn't very clear.
    If you do the EYPS, as Msz says, you can't be a teacher unless you already have QTS (and you usually can't do EYPS if you have QTS). But you could be a lead practitioner in a children's centre or private nursery.
    The thinking behind the EYPS was to get all PVI early years settings led by a graduate. I can tell you this was not very popular with leaders of pre-schools who have many years experience but a level 3 qualification. As things stand, you can still lead a nursery with a level 3 qualification, so the EYPS is not quite as recognised as it was hoped to be and the pay levels reflect this.
    Here's an interesting article about the future of the EYPS:
    http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/1074468/Question-mark-future-EYPs/

5. hurny

hurny New commenter

I was writng my post before I saw the last one by Msz so have duplicated some info....sorry.

6. Msz

another thing to consider is that the future funding of CCs is unclear too

7. Ok so from what I can gather from both of your posts is that there is no point in following the EYPS path?
    It was really plan B for me, so if I don't get onto the PGC, GTP or SCITT then I'll do that

8. Msz

You need to think about what you want to do.
    Do you want to teach in a school or do you want to work in child care?
    Are you looking for graduate pay?
    Are you looking for school holidays?

If the answer is a school and any of the others then don't consider EYPS.

9. hurny

hurny New commenter

I agree with Msz. You really need to consider where you want your career path to go. I chose not to do the EYPS because I wanted to become a teacher.

I didn't want to stay as a pre-school manager because I spent more time doing paperwork and admin than actually spending time with the children. This might be different now as some nurseries/pre-schools/children's centres have a manager as well as an EYPS (who will work with the children).
    I did get the school holidays off, but the pay wasn't good in comparison to a teacher's salary (over 1/3 less).
    It would be best to research each profession and decide what path you
    want to take, rather than decide on which course to do based on whether
    you get accepted or not.