1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone Know any Islamic Myths & Legends?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by AstroTaff, Jan 1, 2011.

1. AstroTaff

AstroTaff New commenter

Hi, Im trying to link my English work on Myths and Legends with my RE which is Islam this term.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many Thanks

2. I think that if I were to do this, I would look at Muslim stories that link with the values in the religion, eg The Two Brothers http://www.storiestogrowby.com/stories/two_brothers.html You need to be careful presenting elements of the faith as a 'myth' or 'legend' just to fit in with the theme of your English, as believers would see the events in their religion as real, and not a myth.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

There are myths and Legends in Arabic countries, eg Leila wa Majnoon.

4. To the OP - if you choose to use culutral myths and legends plese do not try and make any Islamic links as this would be inaccurate...

5. Actually, no it wouldn't. There are lots of myths and legends that have islamic influences. Consider the Rajput Queen (especially the sufi elements) which is cultural but contains both Hindu and Islamic elements. You may also want to think about Islamic love stories - there are lots, mostly containing references to Sufism.

To discuss the Koran as a myth might be considered offensive, but to say there are no islamic myths and legends ignores the centuries of cultural and religious storytelling traditions; which is just as offensive.

6. Muslims believe in the djinn, which have some similarities to Christian devils, but are rather different - often the djinn are playful, for example.
    Most cultures attest to the existence of human-like but non-human supernatural creatures. I'd hesitate to assert that djinn do not exist. But for ypur purposes, they can be regarded as legends.

7. This is all interesting stuff but I feel we have to consider what is appropriate for what is probably primary school pupils. I remember using an Anita Ganeri book which had different traditional Muslim stories in it. The Conference of the Birds cartoon version, a Sufi poem originally, which was made by Channel 4, is on youtube.