1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone job-share in Reception?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by EBC, May 14, 2011.

1. EBC

EBC New commenter

Hi,
    I'm currently on maternity leave and have requested part-time as part of a job-share. Currently they are discussing it and I should find out soon.
    The headteacher said "Hmmmm- I don't thnink job-share would suit a foundation stage class.." Although I have said- put me wherever you like next year..etc I was bothered by her saying that after all, I was hoping to return to my year group...
    I thought actually it would work well in Reception..but what do you think?
    Thanks for any advice in advance.

2. Many reception classes I have known are run by multiple teachers either due to part-timers or the main teacher having leadership time so effectively are run by part-timers...

3. H!
    I job shared very successfully for 3 years and less sucessfully for another 2. This is mainly because initially both teachers put in LOADS of extra time to ensure we were both doing things the same way, spending ages on the phone, emailing and leaving handover notes as well as meeting in person as often as possible. For the next two years I worked in the same class but with a different teacher who didn't have the same empathy and or time, and the children definitely sensed the lack of continuity and I found it hard too. When she moved on I offered to do fulltime and the head readily accepted.
    So - it can work and the benefits are a fresh person part way through the week with different strengths and fresh ideas,and planning with two heads is much more fun, but you do have to be in tune with each other.
    Good luck.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I work full time but have had a partner teacher in reception doing job-share for some years (different people involved at different times). it works very well if you all communicate. We had one person a few years ago who was not a team player and went off doing her own thing all the time, that was a nightmare.

5. pete72

pete72 New commenter

I job share and I am a Reception teacher. I am only in my second year of teaching, while my 'other half' has been teaching for 30 years or so. It is a really fine match! We get on so well. The kids soon get used to it and we do different kinds of activities, which is good for everyone, especially the children! I really think they get more out of me because I am part time. Maybe i come back each week a bit more refreshed. You do, however need a couple of hours together each week to discuss planning etc.

6. Hi all,
    my son is currently in reception and has 2 different teacher - one is p/t and the other is the deputy head. I am not convinced that it has been the best for him and he did eventualy settle in.
    My concern is that as well as having these 2 teachers, the class now has a student teacher taking them. Can I have thoughts please on what you think about this. I have raised my concerns as now he is on the 3rd teacher but not really got anywhere.
    Thanks
    Gill