1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone here use Groupon?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ilovesooty, Feb 18, 2011.

1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I'd seen adverts for it but only joined up when a friend recommended it to me. This week I've bought a sandwich/coffee deal (£2 instead of £6), a curry meal for two (£11: just under half price) and best of all a massively discounted holiday to somewhere I last visted in 2003 (and the holiday is costing about half what it cost me then). A bonus was that I was able to upgrade to an extra week for £60 half board. The RRP they quote can be a bit inflated and some of the meal deals have restrictions, but there do seem to be some genuine bargains.

2. ilovesooty

I'd seen adverts for it but only joined up when a friend recommended it to me. This week I've bought a sandwich/coffee deal (£2 instead of £6), a curry meal for two (£11: just under half price) and best of all a massively discounted holiday to somewhere I last visted in 2003 (and the holiday is costing about half what it cost me then). A bonus was that I was able to upgrade to an extra week for £60 half board. The RRP they quote can be a bit inflated and some of the meal deals have restrictions, but there do seem to be some genuine bargains.

3. yeah it's really good, i've bought a comedy night ticket for 2 and a haircut in a hairdressers in a london hilton hotel and a massage. my dad got registration to streetcar and like 24 hours for quite cheap. it's really good.
    if you like that you should try living social as they have good london deals too. i read that living social have partnered with amazon so they will maybe become good competiton to groupon.
    although i've noticed that groupon london has been a bit shoddy this week, speed reading glasses, or as tonight (this comes under surrey groupon) http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/surrey/vip-feb11/254915 VIP at stansted airport. lol. but all in all, ive got some pretty good deals on there!

4. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

...... and they say there is no help for the poor. Bless sweetie x

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yes, I use the Brighton one, got 2 chiropratic appointments for £16, a skin treatment for £25 instead of £85,meals look a good idea, but haven't tried any yet.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I got an hour for two on segways in an adventure park, eyelash extensions (so I look gorgeous for the photoshoot my daughter bought me on Groupon!) and a week's holiday with hubby in a 5 star hotel in Morocco.

7. There are some fantastic offers BUT do beware when it comes to booking it can prove challenging - especially when there are restrictions on days/hours avaialble that you are trying to fit in to then next 8 weeks...and invariably there are restricted allocations for these events also, especially some of the big events like theatre etc.

8. Apparently I am too late for Milton Keynes, whatever that means

9. I have used it a few times but the holiday offers are a bit iffy in that they are very restricted to the dates you can go, ie not in school holidays!
    <strike></strike>

10. My husband uses Groupon but I've had the benefit of it.
    He booked me a hot stone massage and saved almost 2/3 of the original price and we're off for a couple of nights away next week. Luckily he had no problems booking for half term.

11. ilovesooty

Your habitual spite does you no favours.

The holiday I booked did have some school holiday dates but admittedly not many - thankfully I'm not tied to them any more. I only had to try 3 times before I got through to book, I was offered a &pound;60 upgrade to double the length of the holiday and a lovely lady from the travel company telephoned me to finalise the arrangememts.

The tea/coffee/sandwich deal with two thirds off will do me nicely one Saturday when I go into town to shop.

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

The only restriction on the holiday we booked was two weeks over Easter, but as Easter hols vary that still allowed me a week when we could go.
    All summer hols are available so we're off in August.

13. impis

impis New commenter

I bought my son a T shirt for &pound;1.99 instead of &pound;14.99 from some snazzy online Tshirt shop. He was delighted with it.
    They keep sending me offers to go to marakesh - very good deals - but the holiday doesn't include flights . Besides, my holiday is already booked.
    They do have some good deals - if you fancy going rock climbing while having a facemask and your hair cut and highlighted.

14. ilovesooty

My holiday is to Kyrenia in Northern Cyprus and (thankfully) did include flights. Works out to just over &pound;400 for two weeks' half board, flying from Manchester.

Imp: they had a lovely meal deal yesterday for the Drop Forge in the Jewellery Quarter.

15. impis

impis New commenter

Yeah, I saw that. Unfortunately, I'm trying to avoild meal deals as none of them have zero points on the slimming world plan.