1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone here think that the Convid-19 will change SMT/SLT for the better?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by a1976, Apr 1, 2020.

1. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

I was speaking with a former colleague yesterday and she suspects that this virus has put a wrench in the "self-importance" of senior leaders. Do you think the school closures will have any impact on senior leaders and how they treat their staff? Do you think there will be some culling of senior staff?

2. WB

WB Senior commenter

No.

minnie me, blazer, steely1 and 5 others like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I think this is Grade A wishful thinking!

4. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

I have wondered occasionally how SMT are filling their days of school closure while the rest of us spend all day teaching a full timetable online and all evening trying to find, download and organise work submitted by the students.

Maybe someone will come on here and tell us.

5. Lidnod

Lidnod Senior commenter

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My HT was running a Quiz this afternoon.

Our deputy is chasing up the kids who are not doing any work.

7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

If I'm honest I think it has forced them to consider who really does the front line bread and butter work, as well as those who hold things together for the entire organisation. Some of ours have been quite emotional at times, I think they have realised there is more to life than what was previously considered the be all and end all of schools, it might or might not impact on their self importance but even that doesn't really matter at the moment.

Lara mfl 05, Laphroig and Jamvic like this.
  8. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I've completed all the planning for next term for the two schools in my federation. I've completed three safeguarding referrals, phoned vulnerable families three times a week, completed two Child Protection reviews by phone, three EHCP reviews, DoE registers daily, staff rotas, pupil attendance registers, sorted out FSM , delivered three food boxes to families that can't get to school and dealt with numerous queries from staff, families and the LA.
    I have not been sat on my ****, twiddling my thumbs!

9. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Let's not forget some of them are pretty decent anyway!

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I can think of one appalling manager for whom nothing would make a difference. They were an emotionally damaged mess for whom every day was an exercise in making peoples life miserable.

But I don't work for that person any more - they got a headship and their school is a revolving door for staff.

Wonder why.

Shedman and Alice K like this.
  11. needabreak

Bet they wonder why too.

12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I bet their explanation involves the word "robust".

Shedman, Bedlam3, Grandsire and 4 others like this.
  13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It makes me sad to think that a world scale catastrophe would affect people in one specific role in a particular way, because the implication is that they stand to learn something from the catastrophe that others do not. It's almost in an oblique way as if wishing something on them more than on others. There's a hint of "an eye for an eye".

Surely everybody is going to come to a different level of realisation about their life and their role depending on how they have perceived and experienced this situation? It's not easy for anybody, and there will be lessons to learn for everybody.

If there is a discernible type of behaviour in our management as a generality, I've always believed it comes from the top. From our government. There is much speculation about how our government are going to change their view of public sector workers, and if that does happen, then yes, our management will absorb those changes.

However, I somehow think I will have changed far more myself to actually even be bothered that much.

Amateur haircut, anybody?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    needabreak likes this.
  14. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

I am lucky for the past 9 years I have worked for a school that is human, that recognizes if you treat people well they go the extra mile.
    My previous life sentence of 25 years is a different story in parts.
    BUT I do not believe it will fundamentally change some of the SMT. You can live in hope.

15. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

I feel really sad that there seem to be so many awful schools to work in, being hopeful perhaps it’s those with bad experiences who are more likely to share them?

I’m a Deputy Head and have been in school every day this week so far and half of last week, taking turns with the HT, arriving at school at 7.30 as usual and spending the days helping set up for the childcare, relieving staff running that for breaks, answering the phone and emails, liaising with Early Help and social workers, sorting out food bank vouchers, doing ‘Safe and Well’ checks on all vulnerable children, catching up on SENDCo paperwork and much more.

Days working from home pretty much the same as well as trying to get my own two to do some of the remote learning set by their secondary schools.

The rota for all staff (we’ve a large staff team and very few children of key workers needing childcare) works out as 2 days each over about 10 weeks I will be in school either 2 or 3 days every week.

Everyone is working hard, while feeling really anxious and wanting to get things right in this exceptional situation and I feel really lucky to work in a great school.

Please look yourselves and your families and each other and take care.

16. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I think that there should be more SLT members, but that they should each do at least a 30% timetable. This way, whilst new initiatives and plans were being considered, they would have a real understanding of the real impact on teaching staff, and ultimately have to experience it themselves.
    When I taught in the 70s and 80s, this was the case - and it ensured more realistic decisions and expectations.
    Perhaps this current situation may have, at least, some kind of ‘ground zero’ effect....... then, maybe, not.

17. install

install Star commenter

In answer to the thread title: No.

It will all be forgotten about. Remember some ant/slt types are still doing the job they do eg hiding away; not teaching; sending out emails; making unreasonable demands; and covering their backs.

If anything, the screw will be tightened in some schools. There are slt types who try hard to be thought of as tough, challenging and demanding. Too many slt in reality are scared of performing in classroom and of teachers knowing it.

18. needabreak

I'm not sure, I've seen good and bad in most walks of life, people who don't reflect are the most challenging, to avoid being one of them I try to consider how my behaviour impacts... then there's personality, some folk know how to draw out the best in teams and individuals others are theory X managers and bumble around costing the organisation in time and efforts trying out experiments set to improve but later ditched after the leader has achieved their personal growth goal of sometimes making a stand and sometimes standing out but to be honest rarely making a really innovative impact... I don't know everyone's motives and mostly don't care because I've been that person trying to make an impact and it was at a cost, not a price I would be willing or able to pay again, so I watch the eager enthused new leaders with their innovative strategies and wonder why they are so keen, then I remember myself all those years ago and off I trot with my wry smile knowing I'm fulfilled without having to prove anything to anyone but having done a good days work for my remuneration. I am however pleased those leaders step up because although there's no remuneration worth that cost in my view someone it would seem has to do it.

That's been the message from our current leadership team and in so doing they have won my loyalty, I will continue to quietly support the work of the school and appreciate the nice people while dodging the ones who have other personal agendas nomatter where they are in the hierarchy.

19. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

SMT/SLT will change. More will retire.

slingshotsally likes this.
  20. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

I wonder if anyone else on here is irritated by the posters who tar all SLT members with the same brush? Of course some people have had bad experiences but that doesn't mean that all SLT are ogres.