1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have levels for the 2006 KS3 mental test C?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by teacherbetty, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Hi,

Does anyone has levels for ONLY the mental test C 2006. Or even if you have levels for any other years that'd be great.

Thanks

2. Hi,

Does anyone has levels for ONLY the mental test C 2006. Or even if you have levels for any other years that'd be great.

Thanks

3. No - they don't exist

4. maths126

maths126 New commenter

Test C, being targeted at students working at Level 3 - 5, is used to support the written work on Test Papers 1 and 2. Valed is therefore correct, as usual, that it cannot be meaningfully levelled on its own.

However, if you insist, how about:
    Level 2 if they get 1 or more marks,
    Level 3 for 1/3 of it right
    Level 4 for 1/2 of it right
    Level 5 for 2/3 of it right
    subdivide them into split levels if you wish:
    0 N
    1 2a
    10 3c
    12 3b
    14 3a

15 4c
    17 4b
    19 4a

20 5c
    23 5b
    26 5a

Although to be taken seriously, any form of levelled assessment needs to be far more rigorous than a simple aural test. That's why all three parts of the original are taken and standardised together. You can't really judge the quality of a cake simply by tasting the cherries on top!

5. They did - until around 2001 - publish seperate levels for the mental test. Never used them as a standalone for the reasons others have mentioned.

They seem to have taken all old thresholds off the QCA website (I just did a quick search) but they used to all be on there.

6. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

I've got all the old thresholds going back to 1995 if anyone wants them, I can't imagine why!

7. Hi,
    Regarding those levels for mental tests, I wonder if you'd be good enough to send me them asap. We have Ofsted in soon and I just wanted to high-light where the students levels might be at exactly this time.
    Regards,
    Steve