1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have experience of working with (or as) an unqualified teacher?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pepsi_kda, Oct 20, 2017.

1. pepsi_kda

pepsi_kda New commenter

I am currently job sharing with an unqualified teacher. She does not yet have a job description and nobody seems to be able to tell us what she is and is not expected to do... we have been told she is not expected to plan, which led us to wonder whether she expected to take responsibility for assessment...and how accountable she is for the children's progress... and who is supposed to do the planning of lessons for unqualified teachers if they are not... We're hoping that, until management have written up her job description, someone here can shed some light, please? Thank you.

2. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Teaching involves assessing where the students are, knowing where they need to be, and planning accordingly.

If your colleague isn't planning, she won't have a handle on the assessment either, and as you say there is an issue of who is responsible for the students' progress; I would argue that she is not a teacher in any meaningful sense, no matter what it may say on her job description when you eventually see it.

Sounds like a really awkward situation for you.

JosieWhitehead and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Pomza

Pomza Lead commenter

It depends on the specifics of the role - There are no hard and fast rules. Much would depend on the competency of the individual, whether or not they on a path to obtain QTS and the local policies/practices of the employer.

I know 3 UQTs across different schools; they do everything a qualified teacher would do. That said, they work in very supportive teams, so regularly seek the advice and support of more experienced/qualified colleagues.

They are all excellent teachers too.

Speculation about your case is probably pointless - But if I had employed somebody as a teacher, I would expect them to plan, teach and assess.

4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

I couldn't have imagined how I could have got through the work that was necessary to cover the examination syllabuses for my classes, and allowed time for revision and mock exams without a great deal of planning. Without this, it would be exactly like working in a fog - - and if a teacher should be absence with illness, how does anyone know what to cover in the absence without a plan of work? Our heads asked to have our plans before the start of the year.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

I mentored UTs and if they had their own class they were expected to do the same planning and assessment as anyone else. They got extra non contact time, some of which we had together so I could support but no they pretty much did everything a QT did except manage a subject and have to run any clubs.

Pomz and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. katiesedavis

katiesedavis New commenter

I've worked in two schools as an UT and was expected to plan, assess and everything else that a qualified teacher would do. I guess it varies depending on the school!

Pomz and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. pepsi_kda

pepsi_kda New commenter

Thank you so much, everyone, for your responses. I'm not sure why it was decided that my teaching partner wouldn't be expected to plan lessons. I assumed that was part of being an unqualified teacher. I'll pass on the information from this thread and see if things become clearer.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Flippin heck, glad my head is way more sensible than this!
    A vague, but happy for things to change, outline of topic headings is all we upload at the start of the year!

squashball and Pomz like this.
  9. Pomza

Pomza Lead commenter

Nobody in their right mind would expect any more.

Teachers need to respond to pupils' progress and adapt as the year passes. You cannot meaningfully set everything out too for in advance...

alexanderosman likes this.
  10. JosieWhitehead

Vague but happy to change wouldn't work for the courses I taught on. I was an FE teacher with a background of experience in the world of business etc. Students had exams to pass in order to get work at the end of their courses. A business-like approach to teaching was what was expected of us. It probably would have been different if I taught in a primary school - well, I'm sure it would. Looking at the introduction to this topic the word "vague" seems to be the cause of all the trouble. No wonder poor pepsi is working in a 'fog' and it seems that this school just don't care.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

And I've taught GSCE. A-Level, SATS, 11+, CE, etc all with exams to be passed. The curriculum is in place, the long term outlines are in place, the exam syllabus is in place. But the day by day planning is most certainly not and any head who wanted them would have had it explained in words of one syllable why it wasn't possible by every head of dept I've ever worked with. Please @pepsi_kda do not think you ought to have had the year all planned out in order to hand your partner teacher a full set of plans. No sensible school would want that and it wouldn't work anyway.

For @pepsi_kda the issue appears to be that the partner teacher isn't expected to plan lessons, but is teaching them. Not that they haven't been stupid enough to write the entire year's plans to be able to pass them on to the partner teacher. They don't appear to be working in a fog at all and there is nothing to suggest the school doesn't care.

Pencilplayground and Pomz like this.
  12. JosieWhitehead

Oh dear - I've obviously misunderstood you. I was actually talking about the long-term outline (the scheme of work). I didn't mean the day to day lessons which cover this scheme of work. No - sorry. When pepsi said 'plan' I thought she was talking about the plan, ie the scheme of work, not the daily lesson plan. Sorry.