1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have any information on the Science equivalency tests for PGCE???

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Hainault2608, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Hiya,
    I am taking a Science equivalency test in June for my PGCE as I did not gain a C in my Science GCSE at school. Has anybody taken this and how hard was it? Is there anything in particular I should be studying?
    Thanks, Hazel. x

2. Hiya,
    I am taking a Science equivalency test in June for my PGCE as I did not gain a C in my Science GCSE at school. Has anybody taken this and how hard was it? Is there anything in particular I should be studying?
    Thanks, Hazel. x

3. Hi,
    I took a test at Bath Uni just before Christmas and passed.
    To be honest it was very straightforward and not too tricky but as noted in other threads each uni sets its own test and some may be more or less difficult than others.
    Where are you taking your test and have they given you any info?

Cheers,
    Beano

4. Hiya Beano,

Thanks for your reply. I will be taking the test and continuing my studies at the University of East London. They haven't given me any info yet, to be honest I have not registered for it yet as they are currently doing the February tests, so I need to register the end of this month. I imagine and hope that once registered the Uni will give me more info about it and what to study. Its just that I've heard people have have been told to study a bit of everything?
    At the moment I am waiting for the Secondary School I attended 9 years ago to get back to me. I have asked if I can sit in on their Science classes to take notes, I feel this may benefit me more than just reading form a textbook. Fingers crossed.
    Thanks agin for your reply and good luck.
    Hazel. x

5. www.equivalencytesting.com

Check this lot out. This is where I did mine and they run tests specifically for PGCE students. Very relaxed, £75 an exam and you get the results in 1-3 days usually. I think you can download a mock exam. The science they run is biology.

Can highly recommend them, but they are only affiliated to some Unis which they list on their site, always getting new ones tho so worth ringing as well.

6. Hiya,

Thanks DocSwan, I will be taking the equivalency test with my Uni, they provide them there. You can only sit it once so if I do not pass I will have to wait till the next year, so I am constantly cramming in lots of revision right now.
    I actually need to sit the maths one too, but I feel pretty confident I will be ok with that one.
    Thanks for your help,
    Hazel.