1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have any examples of bad instructions - y3?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by marlin, Feb 28, 2011.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

2. IFF

IFF New commenter

Thank you! Great ideas and the video made me laugh ha ha!
    Getting ready for an Ofsted inspection eeeek!

3. marlin

Hope it goes well for you!

4. marlin

5. Nielle

Nielle New commenter

A colleague of mine once did this practically. She assembled the necessary objects and ingredients for making a jam sandwich and asked the children to tell her how to make it. This resulted with the children saying : "Put the jam on the bread" at which point she put the jar on the bread. The children learned that they had to be really specific, even for simple tasks that 'everyone' knows how to do.
    I've also used simple origami to teach instructions (in both y2 and y5/6). This could be used as a way of necessitating pictures and words in instructions - what makes a good set of instructions?

6. IFF

IFF New commenter

Thank you Marlin and Nielle too. I have just seen these but will still use them to reinforce the children understanding....saw that vid but for some reason it wouldn't open up at school! It's funny though!
    I got a good with elements of outstanding so thank you all for your advice. I always know there are people on this forum who are willing to help! Appreciate it very much!
    x Iff

7. marlin

Always happy to help and so pleased everything went well for you. I hope you can discover why the video didn't work. The class clips are a great resource.

8. I've always done it by taking what the kids said literally as well... usually ends up with fits of laughter and the point made. Makes one hell of a racket though as they're getting really into putting you doing it wrong right.
    Glad it went well.