1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have a school chaplain?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by princessx, Feb 16, 2010.

1. princessx

princessx New commenter

As the title says really, does anyone have a school chaplain, and whet is their role? How closely do they work with the RE dept?

Any ideas welcome as I will shortly be gaining a chaplain (I am HoD) and I am not sure how much I am expected to use him/her!

Many thanks :)

2. sent you a pm

3. The term "chaplain" is used for when the local parish priest pops his head round once a term to utter some platitudes, and for a full-time paid member of staff who deals with pastoral problems whilst running a program of activities for the untroubled majority.

4. Ours has some links with RE but doesn't really get involved in our dept.

5. Our chaplain organises Friday Mass, runs youth SVP and charity groups and is there if pupils need someone to speak to. He doesnt do any teaching and the dept still plan all of the Lenten and Advent services which we deliver in lessons we also plan the Christmas and Holy Week services.