1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have a foolproof Chocolate Brownie recipe?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by sarahocfc, Apr 21, 2011.

1. I'm desperate to make some chocolate brownies, but I can't find a good recipe that doesn't go beyond my amateur abilities.
    Any suggestions?!
    Sarah :)

2. I use one from BBC Good Food. It sounds more complicated to make than it actually is.
    First part -
    Melt 185g dark choc and 185g unsalted butter together over a pan of water, and then take off the heat, stir, and allow to cool slightly.
    Secondly -
    Whisk together 3 large eggs and 275g golden caster sugar (I used 250g caster sugar 25g demerera sugar).
    Third -
    Then pour in the chocolate mix into the eggs. Fold in carefully with a spatula until the chocolate is mixed in.
    Fourth part -
    Sieve 45g cocoa powder and 85g plain flour into the eggy chocolatey mix/ then mix well with a spatula (it may seem dry to begin with but have faith!!)
    You will be left with a rather dark thick glossy mixture.
    Pour into tins (I use two greased and lined square tins) and level out. Pop into the middle of a preheated oven (160 fan assisted) for about 25-30 mins.
    Perfect brownies guaranteed! :D

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

yes - pm me your email and I'll email you a scan of Nigella's recipe - has never failed me yet!!

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I made these the other day - everyone loves them and they are sooo easy! There is a photo of them on the photo thread (pg7, I think?)
    Preheat your oven to GM4/180C. Grease and line your brownie pan. Melt 175g peanut butter, 150g plain chocolate and 280g light muscavado sugar (can also add in 1tsp vanilla extract here - optional but really tasty!) over a gently heat until the sugar has just about melted. Take off the heat and stir in 3 eggs one by one. Stir in 100g self raising flour (no need to sift). Scrape mixture into tin. Melt a further 50g of peanut butter and then "drizzle" over the top of the brownies before cooking. Bake for 30-35 mins.Then melt another 50g of plain chocolate and drizzle this over the top before leaving to cool. When cool completely, this should cut into about 16 brownies.

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

you have mail!

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

This is the recipie I got (begged) from my friend Mel after tasting one tiny square of her brownies:
    <u><font size="3">MEL&rsquo;S TRIPLE CHOC BROWNIES</font></u>
    <font size="3"> </font>
    <font size="3">150g unsalted butter</font>
    <font size="3">200g plain dark chocolate</font>
    <font size="3"> </font>
    <font size="3">175g caster sugar</font>
    <font size="3">1 tsp vanilla essence</font>
    <font size="3">3 large eggs</font>
    <font size="3">75g plain flour (sieved)</font>
    <font size="3"> </font>
    <font size="3">100g milk chocolate (cut into chunks)</font>
    <font size="3">100g white chocolate (cut into chunks)</font>
    <font size="3">cocoa powder for dusting (optional)</font>
    <font size="3"> </font>
    <font size="3">Preheat oven to 160 C or Gas 3</font>
    <font size="3"> </font>
    <u>Method</u>
    <font size="3">Grease (and line with greaseproof paper) 20 cm square tin.</font>
    <font size="3"> </font>
    <font size="3">Melt plain choc & butter over simmering water (or gently in short 30 sec bursts in microwave).</font>

<font size="3">Cool slightly.</font>

<font size="3">Beat sugar and vanilla into choc mix.</font>

<font size="3">Whisk in eggs, one at a time till well mixed.</font>

<font size="3">Add flour and beat till smooth.</font>

<font size="3">Stir in choc chunks. Pour into tin and bake for 30 mins (approx) till skewer comes out of centre with moist crumbs.</font> <font size="3">Allow to cool completely in tin. Remove and cut into squares. Dust with cocoa powder if liked.</font> Hope this works (I've copied and pasted from Word and this does not usually work well!).

7. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oooh, sorry about all the bold type. But at least it's legible!

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter