1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone has experience/ knowledge of rehoming a kitten from Portugal ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moonpenny, Sep 18, 2019.

1. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Hi,

Good friends of my stepson are currently living in Spain and are just about to move to Tenerife to live.

They recently found a tiny abandoned kitten who was meowing desperately at people passing by. They took him ( we think its a boy) in and cleaned him up and fed him and say he’s a real sweet little thing.

As they are just about to move countries and already have 2 cats who aren’t getting on with the kitten, they have been trying to get him taken in by an animal shelter.

It has taken a few days but a shelter in Portugal which has mostly dogs, is willing to foster him as long as it has a home to go to and someone is willing to fund this.

We have 2 young , very friendly and laid back ( ginger) cats ( 1 year and the other is 9 months) and even though we weren’t intending to adopt another cat, we have said we will take him if the shelter can arrange things.

They are saying it will take 3 months - not sure why it would take so long.

I don’t know anything about this - don’t know if we will need to go over to Portugal and drive back or how it works if a flight is arranged - he’s only tiny but I suppose he will be bigger if it does take 3 months, I think a woman working at the shelter is going to foster him at home but not sure as we are waiting for them to contact us - it might even all fall through

I know animal shelters in the UK are full of unwanted cats but this might be his only chance of not ending up back on the streets.

He’s already 7D6CE551-F523-4724-B2FF-1A111FF37140.jpeg got a name - Zappa

Thanks

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

May cost you the best part of £1,000 what with vets bills quarantine and transport.

moonpenny likes this.
  3. moonpenny

Yes we were told transport would be about 300 Euros so thought it wouldn’t be cheap

Just heard he’s been dropped off at a Portuguese foster mum so committed now

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

We rescued a dog from Spain. Sometimes they fly them over. On this occasion though someone was just visiting from Spain in their campervan and brought him over. We drove down to Bath from the Midlands to pick him up.

So the charity usually sorts that out. They have the knowledge and resources to do so. You might have a bit of a drive to an airport or port but that's the usual drill.

And that was 2013. And he's my beloved, darling Freddie. It wasn't hard at all. Not with the charity he came from.

moonpenny likes this.
  5. moonpenny

Aw...lucky Freddy

Dragonlady30 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  6. moonpenny

Can’t resist posting another photo - gives me endorphins 81293D99-50BC-432C-AFF0-21567AEC6A1F.jpeg

7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I have no idea but belledujour has adopted foreign animals. I'll text her and see if she knows.

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Without a pet passport cats and dogs go into quarantine for a few months for a couple of hundred a month.

moonpenny likes this.
  9. moonpenny

Thanks Canary

10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Oh look at his markings

11. moonpenny

I know I’m in love x

12. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

My daughter adopted a kitten from Mykonos three years ago. He was fostered during the three months needed for the paperwork and then flown from Athens to Paris. From there he was taken onto the Calais/Dover ferry and my daughter picked him up somewhere in Essex. I think they only paid the transport costs, which was about £300. He has a passport, so wasn't in quarantine. He's a dear little cat and was saved from certain death. We've just returned from the island and saw many stray cats and kittens - mostly unneutered so the cat population increases all the time.

moonpenny likes this.
  13. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

What will happen if brexit goes ahead?

Serious question - I'm not just posting as a remainer,

LondonCanary and moonpenny like this.
  14. moonpenny

Hi Nizebaby - I know what you mean - Andy said that may make things harder so not sure

15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

My friend adopted two dogs from Romania. Not the same as your kitten, since she knew nothing about them before they arrived, but I couldn't understand why she did it, given there are plenty of dogs here that need homes. And it seemed mighty cruel to ship them half way across Europe. They turned out not to be as described and cost her a fortune in vet's bills.

monicabilongame likes this.
  16. moonpenny

Thanks Bertie - aw glad it worked out for your daughter and her cat

I got really upset when we went to Thassos last year and there was a tiny kitten living in the hotel grounds - in the bushes covered in fleas and with such a bad eye infection, it’s eyes were almost closed. One night it followed us to the hotel room crying and I thought my heart would break - not knowing the island and going home a couple of days later , it was hard to know what to do , with no transport and no knowledge of any shelters or vets that could help - I really felt bad not doing anything to help it

Apparently a lot of the cats there die in bad winters as food becomes scarce and hotels sometimes do a cull - there is a big problem with unneutered cats breeding - so many cats needing homes there and in the Uk

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

P1000097.jpeg

There he is! Above Daisy. He's my special boy.

18. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

6 months and yes it's expensive. My cat moved to South Africa and back with us and had to do this. The 3 month delay may be getting the kitten jabbed so the pet passport then avoids quarantine.

I think it's to do with level of risk rather than if it's an EU country that allows a country to be on the pet passport list. So might not make any difference.

moonpenny likes this.
  19. moonpenny

Awwwww.....

catmother likes this.
  20. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yes, I have.
    If the kitten is now in a shelter, and assuming they rehome overseas, it may be you will need to be assessed as suitable by a representative in the UK.
    The kitten will be vaccinated and given a pet passport, which you will need to pay for.
    Then the animal is usually transported to UK, again you need to pay for this.
    But this is when the animal is in a rescue centre that rehomes to other countries on a regular basis. It will depend on the shelter he is in.

moonpenny likes this.