1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone enjoy this time of the year with Year 6?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by violingirl, Jul 7, 2015.

1. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

After getting dreaded SATs results today, feeling the pressure/irritation of SLT and Governors poring over the figures and dealing with disrespectful and unruly Y6 behaviour, I am worn out and demoralised and wonder what there is to enjoy about Y6 teaching! The whole year has felt like one series of battles! Anyone else feel the same or are you all breezing through the last few weeks of term? We break up next Wednesday with a Y6 BBQ on the school field (we are not barbecuing Y6!) and it can't come soon enough!

2. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

And this is why I am moving to Y5 next year! Sick of SATS and pressure. To be fair, behaviour hasn't been too bad as we threw ourselves into the Leavers' play which went really well (although their ungrateful parents talked all the way through it - grrr) and kept them all busy. Unfortunately we don't break up til the week after next, so by then we and they will be well and truly fed up.

3. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

I am loving it. Great results, great end of year production, great kids.

4. KelRilon

KelRilon New commenter

We've had a lovely day today. (I've been a grumpy cow for at least the past two weeks and haven't actually slept properly in a week....but results are out and everything's fine.) My class have been singing fantastically in our rehearsal and a few of my boys even did solos. They tend to be more relaxed when I am relaxed.

I have, however, gone over to a "get out"-strategy for poor behaviour. I'm not at a point where I will waste time on rude, obnoxious children. They can go somewhere else, don't care where, while we are having a nice time. I have a fab, fun and usually very well-behaved class. They are starting to lose the plot, but I'll miss them next year. Staying in Year 6 next year as well.

5. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

I think I have just had one of those cohorts that happens now and again and I am hoping to be as upbeat as the rest of you wonderful year 6 teachers next year. I'm certainly not wonderful today!

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I struggle this time of the year as I teach year 4, 5 and 6 so whilst the eldest third of the class are in danger of losing the plot,the rest are catching the bug from them!! Nightmare!

7. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

I feel your pain - and I only have Y5/6. Coping with Y4 as well would tip me over the edge of sanity. Respect!!