1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else struggle with packaging?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BertieBassett2, Nov 14, 2018.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I would regard myself as fairly dextrous but I am often flummoxed by product packaging. I have struggled to open a box of tea bags - the plastic casing was so tightly attached I couldn't actually find a way in without a sharp implement. Even worse are items encased in hard transparent plastic - only the sharpest scissors will do. Is it just me?

Lara mfl 05, colpee and Jamvic like this.
  2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Vacuum packed meat - whatever way I open it leaves me - and my surroundings - covered in blood.

3. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

The worst is when the item encased in plastic IS a pair of sharp scissors. It's like packaging a tin opener inside a tin can.

yodaami2, Lara mfl 05, colpee and 6 others like this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I can speak eight languages, juggle with four tea cups, and play seventeen Beethoven piano sonatas with my eyes closed, but I cannot open a plastic bag of rice.

5. BertieBassett2

The key word in our comments is 'plastic'.....

Lara mfl 05 and Jamvic like this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Now, there's a thing.
    In fact, it's almost as if the stuff were not meant to be...

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

All packaging has become ridiculously hard to open.

Lara mfl 05 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Coffee Mate annoys me intensely because it's packaged in a cardboard tube with a metal rim and base and I can't recycle it.

I'd also like Tassimo drink pods and similar to be packaged in a recyclable way, as using them makes me feel environmentally guilty when all I want to do is enjoy a nice hot drink.

9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Toys.

I still remember the Krypton Factor style toy packaging from when my kids were small. One, I think it was a robotic dinosaur, actually had step by step instructions on the back on how to release the item from the package. A certain type of screwdriver, that we didn’t have to hand of course, was required. Just what you need Christmas morning.

And then there was Barbie... the horror!

In 2006 Consumer Reports started the Oyster Award for difficult packaging. The Barbie doll took second place with 15 minutes and 10 seconds for “untwisting wires, snapping rubber bands, stripping tape, slicing thick plastic manacles off her arms and torso, cutting off a tab embedded in her head, and carefully ripping a series of stitches securing her tresses to a plastic strip on the back of the box.”

http://mentalfloss.com/article/12618/why-toy-packaging-so-difficult-open

10. BertieBassett2

I'd also like Tassimo drink pods and similar to be packaged in a recyclable way, as using them makes me feel environmentally guilty when all I want to do is enjoy a nice hot drink.[/QUOTE]
    Nespresso pods are recyclable.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

"all I want to do is enjoy a nice hot drink"
    Here's a novel idea-get coffee beans, grind them, put in cup, pour on hot water, allow grains to settle, drink, pour grains on garden or compost or under hydrangea. Wash cup. Repeat.
    Use empty bag from coffee beans as kitchen composter.

Garnering smug points as always, thanks for the invitation.

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Surely if you're going to do that with your Barbie, you might just as well have bought the game of Operation?

Jamvic likes this.
  13. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I am having to admit I am struggling with some stuff needling dexterity and strength. :(
    Opening many things is becoming a struggle and the other thing I find is that I seem to be dropping things a lot.
    I went to surgery with pain in the base of my right thumb. This exactly mirrored the pain I had there when had a very hard hit from playing hockey. My thumb caved in a bit which meant I couldn't open up the thumb out from the hand too well....it only really affected playing tennis as the width of the racket grip would make the hand ache. Anyway the physio/occ health lady decided that I prob had arthritis in my hands and examined my fingers and confirmed her diagnosis. Up til then I hadn't had any pain in my fingers....just the thumb! Now my left thumb has kicked off and I have been given splint type wraps to wear...... The only good news is that the X rays they took cleared my shoulder of any major issues.....I just have strained muscles there but the arthritis in hands was confirmed. I am due some cortisone injection it seems....

Anything with better or rather no packaging gets my vote.

14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Nespresso pods are recyclable.[/QUOTE]
    Is it beyond the wit of mankind to devise a coffee machine with reusable, refillable pods? How difficult can that be? You'd get all the convenience of the coffee machine, with the virtues that @sbkrobson describes.

I've never seen the point of a coffee pod machine myself; and even if I wanted one, I have no idea where I'd keep it. Our kitchen cupboards are full to capacity with pointless gadgets and so are the worktops. The large slow cooker had to go to make way for the electronic pressure cooker. So did the food processor have to, when the Nutri-bullet arrived. I've no idea what happened to the toasted sandwich maker, the fondue set, the cream maker, bread slicer and mincing machine(s) we were given as presents.

How much of this junk does the world need?

Jamvic and sbkrobson like this.
  15. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Do not, under any circumstance look at the thickness of the needle they shove in - it would not be amiss in a veterinary's bag!

HelenREMfan likes this.
  16. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

All at the same time? That's definitely Greater Depth:)

17. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

Nespresso pods are recyclable.[/QUOTE]
    Coffee pods and tea bags are environmental terrorism.

18. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Oh sugar, you’ve made me worry about using my tassimo machine. I love it, it’s my favourite all time gadget. Come on tassimo, invent a reusable pod thing.

19. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

That's it. Old age. You wake up at 5.30 am and spend the rest of the day trying to open a packet of biscuits.

Jamvic and Rott Weiler like this.
  20. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

Surely making a cup of coffee from one of those squelch pots is not that much trouble?