1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else just sometimes really hate it?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Maz86, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Maz86

Maz86 New commenter

...you know...all of it?

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

yes

Shedman and ldnsenco like this.
  3. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Oh God, yes.
    Things I hated today:
    - telling someone their lesson (observation) was not good. It really, really was very bad. I could barely find anything to be positive about. It was crushing for them and horrible for me - I spent all night awake and worrying about it as well as worrying about the kids who are in that class;
    - a meeting that happened in which very lazy, disaffected students were mentioned and the inevitable flipping question..."what are you doing about it?";
    - knowing some of my department are really struggling and I don't honestly know how to help them at this point;
    - never seeing my own children because I'm always working/thinking about work/worrying about work;
    - the pressure;
    - constantly feeling like a failure;
    - being behind with paperwork which I know is pointless;
    - reassuring people when I'm thinking they just need to be a bit less sensitive about silly things;
    - never having enough time to do anything properly so that everything is kinda half-assed;
    - being blamed for things I've tried really hard to improve - my efforts, and those of my team, are ignored while the slow progress is dwelt on endlessly;
    - the feeling of dread at my fourth learning walk this week.

allie70, Maz86, Shedman and 3 others like this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Yes BUT...

It is just a job Maz86 - love it or hate it.I give it no more thought than that these days - my quality of life means more.

porfavor, Shedman and ldnsenco like this.
  5. ldnsenco

ldnsenco Occasional commenter

What impact has that had on your ability to tackle your workload? I've been trying to do that recently, and I'm now getting home at 5.30 instead of 6.30. I'm going to work at 8.00 instead of 7.00. However, I feel like I'm actually not getting any 'work' done. I'm a SENCO so I'm obviously teaching and doing duties and organising things for line managing (performance management time of year) as well as timetables and resourcing for staff etc. However, the paperwork side (my actual job) is not moving forward and I'm feeling useless.

Any advice?

6. install

install Star commenter

I have more energy to do my job in the time that my employer has given me to do it.

There will always be unfinished jobs ....

Shedman likes this.
  7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I had this discussion the other day. Some of it is about being more productive. Some of it is, as install says, having a mind set to work with a work life balance and force yourself into different behaviours. As teachers, we generally create our own work. Time and motion study as well as clear categorising of your own created work would help. If you are assessing a lot then either they need to produce less, you have to change the way you assess or you plan and quantify the assessment rigidly. if you are doing extra unpaid overtime, stop. All extra curricular, stop. Lunchtime meetings, stop. Don't volunteer for jobs. Be slow but not too slow when answering emails. Only check them once a day and thus miss shout outs for people to do extra work or unpaid overtime.
    Teachers do a huge amount of good will work and then get loaded with extras. So cut the good will and only do what you are demanded to do.

tosh740, VeronicAmb and install like this.
  8. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

No, not all of it (answering the OP). But I have hated dealing with two personality clashes, neither of which I could understand and get to the bottom of, neither of which I solved.However HoDs are paid to take on these burdens and there are other aspects which compensate. Wonderful days with the whole dept buzzing about teaching; results days; days when the whole dept agreed to new plans and shared the vision and the hard work.

9. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Yes, really really really hate teaching now and especially being a HoD. Am leaving at Christmas to get my life back and to take a timeout, to see if I really want to waste the one life I will ever have doing this Sh It.

VeronicAmb and Shedman like this.
  10. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

Coming soon... half term! ;)

Shedman likes this.
  11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

OK I'm retiring in July next year but yes, I have hated it with a vengeance at times. Everything is done to cover our backs in case Ofsted come visiting. Our SLT have got wind that Ofsted are now going to judge schools on the accuracy of their predicted results (?) so we have panicky messages to review our predicted grades and make them more accurate than they were. How exactly do you do that? On some bright afternoons I look out the window and wonder what I could be doing with my time to make my life better - go for a lovely walk, watch a film, listen to music and then I come crashing back with the arrival of the next class. Sometimes in my classroom it feels as if I am in prison.

install likes this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

Congratulations @Shedman - bet you cannot wait to escape ...and be free of all the nonsense in schools .

Shedman likes this.
  13. wassurfbabe

wassurfbabe New commenter

I have enjoyed being acting HOD - in fact am really despondent that there are no jobs where I am so have to return to original job - BUT I am really struggling because the School , and the Dept, are all really, really negative at the minute. For the most part there are good reasons to be gloomy - we all know what they are and behaviour in our school seems to be on a hugely downward spiral with no one in SLT really taking ownership of the issue.
    So, bearing in mind I cannot change that - how can I help create some more happiness in the Dept???

14. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Yes, that is true and it wasn't always the case. I will have done 30+ years when I retire and although we have always striven for our students to gain good grades I have found the last couple of years a trial. EVERYTHING done in school is now results and Ofsted centred. Initiatives are introduced with the rationale that if we are asked what we are doing in respect of ...... we can say........ rather than we think this will be good for the children. Our SLT is simply terrified of an Ofsted visit - we got an Outstanding grade for the last inspection. If the rating drops to good even in some aspects then the SLT will be under pressure to go and this is conveyed to us with panicky e-mails demanding we start doing this or that immediately. In my last year I have taken to wearing a black tie for work. Nobody else attaches any significance to this but for me it is a symbol of mourning for the education I used to deliver in earlier years before it descended to the current regime.

CreativeADT, sabrinakat and install like this.
  15. install

install Star commenter

I agree @Shedman and it is awful that education has changed sooo much from the caring, nurturing world to a factory line. I have never seen so many unhappy teachers both young and old...

But it is just a job and you have a life of happy days ahead - try and be positive. You will want to look back one day and remember how you finished your job.

sevenate9 and Shedman like this.
  16. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Thanks for your support.

install likes this.
  17. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Happiness and motivation comes seeing things change for the better either at a departmental or school level. It is unlikely the school regime will change because results are really the only thing that matter. In your department do you have any social events? Get together for a drink or a meal out. Host members of you department to dinner to get to know them a bit better. Try to meet for one break time a week for coffee. If others see you making an effort they may be encouraged to come on board but there again, they may see you as just one of the unbearably cheerful brigade and avoid you like the plague.

18. Maz86

Maz86 New commenter

So, I've only just had the time to check back in. ;-) Thanks for the back up comrades! Parents, i hate parents. Truly, truly vile!

19. CreativeADT

CreativeADT New commenter

I just joined with an anonymous username so I can get advice about my (new this year) role as HoF and loved this! So good to share the pain. Members of my team being over sensitive and 'stressy' and most of them not doing what I ask. Reminder emails that remain polite despite my inner anger and frustration. No-one really actually training me in how to do this job they asked me to apply for, where I've had no role model to learn from over the years, with no other TLR subject leaders amongst 9 of us, so I do it all... Thanks for being honest so I know it's not just me :)

20. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

I couldn't stand it. It wasn't my school or the dept. It was just teaching in general or shall I say, the lack thereof. As HoD, I didn't have many contact hours. But I still just didn't like the fact that even my own teaching was just all about grades and exams. For one week, with my year 10s - I mentioned the word or phrase "for your exam" 71 times - and I only had them 4 hours per fortnight.

Teaching has become a drilling factory to churn out over zealous grades. I had enough and quit in December. One day I want to go back to it. Maybe when my youngest is old enough to form a complete sentence together. But until then, I will happily take falling asleep to Loose Women at midday over 2hr meetings about nothing!