1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else have random crying fits due to the pressures of the job?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by mushroomz, Nov 23, 2015.

1. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

I am so fed up with having regular crying fits that can last a whole evening as a result of the frustrations, stresses and pressures of the job........And I don't mean because of the kids, who are generally decent in our school, but because of the demands of the SLT......

The latest is their instruction to write lesson plans for our OFSTED inspection, which is starting tomorrow........I have checked the OFSTED website, and it says, clearly and categorically:

 Ofsted does not require schools to provide individual lesson plans to inspectors. Equally, Ofsted does not require schools to provide previous lesson plans.

 Ofsted does not specify how planning should be set out, the length of time it should take or the amount of detail it should contain. Inspectors are interested in the effectiveness of planning rather than the form it takes.

Yet we have been told to do them and I am sitting here half way through my 3rd out of six lesson plans, absolutely exhausted and ready to go to bed, but knowing I have at least another 4 hours of work to do.......

I have been in tears all evening, with frustration, and am unable to concentrate properly - which is why I have come on here for advice and a bit of a 'break' from the drudgery........

Anyone got any good advice? If I don't get all my lesson plans done, will I be in bother, or will I be justified in not doing them if I show them the details above that come from the very mouth of OFSTED itself?

2. anon8836

anon8836 New commenter

I have just read your very sad message and I have to say that I taught for 30 plus years but have been retired for some time. I believe things are very much harder nowadays than they were, but I remember also how things were in schools before the National Curriculum. They were absolutely terrible beyond words. I'll say no more, but it really does sound as if you have hit rock bottom and no job should make you feel so unhappy. You have my thoughts and my prayers and I do hope that things will get better because nobody should have to suffer like this. Josie

3. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

Thank you for your kind words, Josie! It's interesting (but very sad, even so) to hear that things were also bad in the 'good old days'. I am just trying to take each day as it comes and am going to the doctor (when / if I can get an appointment with my favourite one in the next few weeks) to ask for advice on how best to deal with my anxieties.

4. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I think crying can partly be a release of pressure and letting it out is better than keeping it in. However, it might also be a sign that your body isn't handling stress too well at the moment.

If you are in a union it might be worth checking their website to see what their advice is regarding lesson plans. Ultimately you won't be downgraded by Ofsted for any lack of lesson plans because they won't ask for them. That only leaves your management team to look at them. Are they likely to? Do you usually have to submit plans?
    My rebellious side says don't do extended plans, focus on getting the necessary things ready for potential obs and get an early night. A refreshed, relaxed teacher will show their best side to Ofsted and that should please your school.

5. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

Thanks RedQuilt! I have checked my union website and their advice is as I included in my original post, i.e. that OFSTED doesn't want lesson plans to be provided!!

We don't normally provide individual lesson plans, only weekly planning, which I find a real bind, but I know it's a requirement of the school, so I have to do it.....

I'm not sure that your 'rebellious side' is actually rebellious - sounds sensible to me! I'm going to do about another hour's work, then go to bed, and hopefully get a decent night's sleep!

6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Sounds like a good plan!

Hope the Ofsted visit goes well and isn't too stressful:)

7. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

School management in so many places seem determined to break their staff through this sort of tick box culture. Why demand staff do things that are time consuming, stressful and no needed?

No wonder so many are leaving the profession.

Good luck with Ofsted.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am very sorry to hear about this horrid situation. I do feel that you need ti put in writing your feelings as the school has a duty to look after you, but cannot unless you tell them specifically.

Overwhelming workload - what can you do about it?

Best wishes

9. janemk

janemk New commenter

Difficult though isn't it, TheoGriff, when you're already feeling exhausted/anxious/depressed etc and being the teacher who sticks their head above the parapet may just feel too much of a challenge, especially when it's the management themselves who are causing the problems. I absolutely agree though - something needs to be done. I can't believe it's actually got worse rather than better since I was there, and there still appears to be a lot of stigma around mental health issues. There are so many teachers living everyday with unsustainable levels of stress and feeling like that is a normal way of life. I just want to shout 'Nooooooooo! It shouldn't be like this!'

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Me too.

Best wishes