1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

does anyone else feel slightly panicked after spending a huge amount of money!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon8315, Dec 31, 2015.

1. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I have just spent over £1000 on flights for me and my partner.

The awful thing is, I really did do it on impulse. I was messing around on Facebook and Christmas and new year is a difficult time for me anyway and lots of posts from people having a fabulous time made me feel all strange so I sent a few texts and next thing I know, we are going somewhere hideously expensive in April.

Help me feel better about this - it's the bucket list!

Meant to be trying for a baby not jet setting the world!

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

[QUOTE="badger_girl, post: 11541806, member: 984751"

Meant to be trying for a baby not jet setting the world![/QUOTE]

Can't you do both?

3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Condoms and four months of practice

4. anon8315

Yes, we can Dragon! It's just we are supposed to be saving for sensible things not mad crazy holidays!

Anyway, we can start trying in March, so if we are successful first or even second go hopefully the foetus will enjoy its transcontinental trip!

5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

You won't have time or money to do jetsetting once you have children. So take this as a wonderful holiday and treat for you both. Take lots of photos and enjoy it. You will definitely need something to look back on/forward to for when the child/ren have grown up!

6. anon8315

Yes, this was my justification too Monica!

7. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Unless you've £1000 to throw away of course you're going to worry if you've done the right thing, we all do to some extent or other, you've earned your money have a great holiday. As for trying for a baby, stop trying and start enjoying, hopefully you'll have a ball on holiday, relax and get pregnant when you least expect.

Good luck have a wonderful New Year, trust yourself and enjoy the life you're living now !

badger_girl likes this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If statistics be true, you'll never have 'enough money' for a baby, so don't worry about it. The holiday may be just what you need to relax and 'let nature take it's course'.
    As said if you do start a family expensive holidays won't be possible for a while. Relax and enjoy.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    badger_girl and monicabilongame like this.
  9. anon8315

Thank you. I don't exactly regret booking it, but am a bit shocked at how much I just spent. I was feeling a bit sad and sorry for myself - probably quite an extreme way around it!

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Was going to say I am told a lot of children begin on a holiday. At least one of mine did.:)
    We had a lovely time in Berlin recently and I suppose i should have felt guilty.but i didnt.We both needed the break and once the money is spent lay back and enjoy.At least it gives you a point of conversation,hopefully happy memories and being more relaxed to face life struggles.

badger_girl and monicabilongame like this.
  11. anon8315

I'm a worrier and I think if I'd spent a similar amount on a cottage in the UK for a fortnight I wouldn't be feeling so panicked. But I think it's the 'out of comfort zone' feeling.

Unfortunately it's looking very likely assisted conception is on the cards and that makes blowing lots of money even more silly in a way, but I feel like it's an important thing to do in a weird way, I have always wanted to see koalas!

12. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I plan to spend some money (not an inordinate amount but substantially more than I am used to spending) on a holiday for myself this year - one of those 'I've always wanted to visit' trips. YOLO, as they say...

Putting yourself outside your comfort zone is good for you. Go and see the Koalas. Relax and enjoy the trip and let nature do whatever it does.... and if it doesn't, then worry about it once you get back (but not before!).

badger_girl likes this.
  13. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

there lies the crux of the issue.

14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I never worry about spending large amounts of money

I never have large amounts of money

15. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

Life should be about making memories. I have always prioritised holidays over things and now my children are grown up, we are always remembering trips away and experiences in a way that they would not have appreciated new cars or carpets. Go for it, have the time of your life, take lots of photos and make lots of memories. Your hopes for children are separate - it isn't an either / or.

RedQuilt and badger_girl like this.
  16. anon8315

After my dad died very suddenly eighteen months ago I have been increasingly of the 'sod it, life's too short!' view!

Dragonlady30 and Noja like this.
  17. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

As you get older, the number of people (friends, family, colleagues) who die suddenly increases and the sod it life is too short belief also gets stronger. Have a fabulous holiday!

Dragonlady30 and badger_girl like this.
  18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I wonder how many northern folk took the advice in the adverts and spent a grand on a new sofa from DFS and had it delivered just in time for the Christmas floods?

I don't think it's possible to determine the exact time and date of conception, but I'd like to think that my daughter's occurred on a beautiful, yet deserted beach near Campbeltown, when we were on holiday and the mood was just right.

Goodness knows how many kids we'd have had if a mere fraction of the occasions my first wife and I spent copulating had been productive, since that was the sole thing that cemented our relationship.

In contrast, my other daughter and her husband were unsuccessful in allowing nature to take its course. I would guess they spent ten to twenty times the amount you are spending on your flights, badger, in the hope that IVF would do the trick.

It did eventually and they ended up with triplets I dread to think what it's cost them since.

Noja likes this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We've spent quite a bit on holidays over the years and every one of them was worth it. We did a tour of the national parks of the USA last summer, ticked a couple of places off the "always wanted to visit" list and did a helicopter trip over Grand Canyon (highly recommended).

badger_girl and Noja like this.
  20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Recently we have had very modest UK holidays or none at all, although a Cornish holiday with all the family evokes very happy memories.

Some of our 'things' give me pleasure and I'm happy we have thrm, but holidays make the special memories, whether with family or friends old and new.

Our passports need renewing- maybe this will be the year we throw caution to the winds and go for a 'proper' trip. There are certainly things we'd like to do and see and 2015 showed me how precarious things can be.