1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else do this....?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by disguise, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Mull things over and analyse them horrendous amounts until they drive you insane and you can no longer think straight and therefore assume the worst is going to happen..... (breathe)?

2. Yes it's a form of mental illness. Write a list. Do what you can .....move on.

3. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Yes I do. I obsess. A lot.
    I agree with eggnchips, write things down. If anything, it slows down your thinking process and you can begin to pinpoint unhelpful thinking styles.

4. A form of mental illness? really? Gosh, that migth explain it. I thought it was just me being a worrier.

I just seem to keep remembering details about the day and it adds to my anxiety. The more I think about the more I convince myself this time I shall get the sack. Truth is it's probably nothing at all since the incident (which I won't go into details of for privacy issues) was explained to said parent who was absolutely fine with it.

Why do I have to be such a nut case all the time?

5. Milkandchalk

I know the feeling disguise. I felt the same and even had a couple of CBT sessions about it. There I learned that most of us have 'nutcase' tendencies in our thinking and we need to address how we perceive things. It is always so easy to jump to the wrong conclusions, often thinking it is we who are in the wrong even if we're not.
    Don't beat yourself up. Think of other reasons to explain the behaviour of others.
    If it really troubles you, then I'd suggest Dr. Chris Williams' material to you. I'd be happy to pm you about my experiences if you think it'd help x

6. If anyone can stop me being me, milkandchalk I am willing to try anything.

Yes please.

7. oooooooooooooooooh, don't think like that!
    You are great because you are you!
    If you tend to overanalyse, take Milk's advice.
    What you need to do is learn to adapt the way you think or react to stress situations - not stop being you!

8. hi disguise, my OH suffers from general anxiety disorder and he used to obsess about worst case scenarios (more often than not work-related ones) all the time... he has found exercising regularly really helpful in terms of releasing stress and it has actually helped him to manage his anxiety much better (although he is still quite a worrier). hope the work situation sorts itself soon and you can stop thinking about it!

9. Don't think like that D. Don't define yourself by the way you're feeling at the moment (yes, I know it's hard, I've been there and I supported my ex, and am continuing to support him, when he's been there), because that's not who you are. Think of your... issues... as a parasite that is feeding off your negative thoughts, and encourages more of them, so it can feed and grow. Have a look at this and this.
    And yes, I do what you've described. I agonise over little things and worry about thing that are out of my control. How do I cope? I refuse to let myself think that way, I make lists and I think of the worst case scenario. My most said phrase is actually "Well, it could be worse!".
    My ex is going through this as well at the moment - he has suffered with depression and panic attacks in the past, and knows that he is close to sliding back down again at the moment - and he's got a Paul McKenna book on reducing stress and anxiety. He's raving about it, and he's the biggest cynic I've ever met!

10. You are definitely not alone. Fretfretfretfret, but for me it's about other people, over whose problems I have no control whatsoever so completely wasted energy; or a total over-reaction to some minor criticism that was probably warranted in the first place.
    Is this a woman thing?

11. Dunno.
    I don't do it, I am not a fretter. I sometimes think I should worry more.
    I know plenty of men who over-react to minor criticism - so I don't think that is a particularly female trait.

12. Milkandchalk

It's a human thing

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I can fret for France,England and Scotland put together.

14. Bloody humans. I bet gibbons don't fret.

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I know my cats don't. Lucky sods.

16. Is the appreciation of a beautiful sunset, the spiritual connection with the author of a perfect poem, or the marriage of true minds really that much of a bargain? I think I might rather be a cat.

17. Milkandchalk

Maybe when the bananas havent grown yet...?

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

We pay a very high price. I'm away to practice sitting on a toadstool and my new grinning technique.

19. Milkandchalk

I wonder how much we all recognise of ourselves in this

20. Yes - I do that.