1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone do primary school outreach?

Discussion in 'Music' started by muso2, Mar 24, 2012.

1. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Hiya,
    The secondary school I'm in want to develop primary school outreach through music.
    I have some ideas, but interested to know if anyone is involved in this and what you do?
    i.e. do you do music lessons/workshops with feeder schools/ do you take your secondary pupils along to help or perform to them/ team-teach with primary teachers/ support music CPD/ do concerts involving kids from feeder schools? Or something totally different?
    How did you get started? And do primary schools actually want involvement from secondary music?

2. Hi,
    We did something similar. The first thing I did was invite the heads of the link primaries or the music co-ordinators to a meeting in school. We were given 8 periods of timetabled time to go out. We asked them what they would like us do with them - for some, it was curriculum design and schemes of work, in some others it was to model some lessons, in others it was to get a choir going. We tailored it to what each school wanted.
    I extended provision at extra curricular by inviting primary pupils to ensembles in the secondary and got a good response. They join our pupils so we now have a much bigger wind band. We also took KS4 BTEC students out to perform in the primaries as well.
    Our biggest link is our annual concert where we form a mass choir with ks2 and our year 7 pupils. We have over a 1000 involved and it's the showpiece of the year.
    Generally,over the years I have found primaries are always happy to get some input from the secondary school. Good luck! Hope it all goes well.
    Andrew

3. Firebird123

Firebird123 New commenter

Hi
    We normally have a group of Yr 8 students who design their own singing workshop to deliver to KS2 children at one of the local feeder schools. They basically teach the little ones a song using a backing track on CD.
    Andrew - that's a great idea about getting KS2 students in to join your wind band rehearsals... I might nick that idea, if that's ok!
    Firebird [​IMG]

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I'm at a primary school that has outreach sessions from the local secondary school. Most of the sessions take place in the last half term with year 6, to provide a link before the children go there the following sept. The sessions are mostly singing.
    the secondary school also has a set of steel drums, so we have had some sessions where the children go over to the secondary school to learn how to play them-really good fun.
    The other sessions we have had have involved year 3 childrne going to use the music technology suit. They have learnt how to use the keyboards and compose simple pieces. Again really worthwhile and good fun.
    the year 7 students often come and perform their end of year concert/plays to us and sometimes we get invited to music/drama workshops.

5. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Thanks for your ideas - much appreciated!