1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anybody know?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by dizzymai, Dec 21, 2011.

1. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

We were recently Ofsted-ed and got a satisfactory. Our Head has told us that it's (mainly) all about the data and that our pupils are not making good enough progress or leaving Y6 with good enough results- currently they are all around the seventies in % and have stagnated for the past several yrs. Progress, as you all know, is based on how many sublevels etc pupils make in KS1 and KS2 (we are primary).
    In our last staff meeting our Head explained that Ofsted always look at the data and make their decision about a school mainly on the data alongside the visit. How do schools such as Steiner schools therefore get outstanding inspections when children don't even get taught to read until they are 7? and who do not track progress as mathematically as we do?

Do independent schools set their own criteria?

Is it true that the data is the most important marker of a school's success?

2. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

We were recently Ofsted-ed and got a satisfactory. Our Head has told us that it's (mainly) all about the data and that our pupils are not making good enough progress or leaving Y6 with good enough results- currently they are all around the seventies in % and have stagnated for the past several yrs. Progress, as you all know, is based on how many sublevels etc pupils make in KS1 and KS2 (we are primary).
    In our last staff meeting our Head explained that Ofsted always look at the data and make their decision about a school mainly on the data alongside the visit. How do schools such as Steiner schools therefore get outstanding inspections when children don't even get taught to read until they are 7? and who do not track progress as mathematically as we do?

Do independent schools set their own criteria?

Is it true that the data is the most important marker of a school's success?

3. The achievement judgement is based on 3 years of data AND what is seen in pupils' work on site through scrutiny of pupils' books, discussions with them and through lesson observations where judgements on attainment and progress are made. There is guidance to inspectors on judging attainment and progress which states that if the evidence on site through scrutiny of the pupils' work and attainment seen by inspectors is different to what might be suggested by the data, then the on-site evidence should take precedence. You can see this guidance at this link:
    http://ofsted.eu/resources/supplementary-guidance-and-resources-for-inspectors
    If your school was judged to be satisfactory, then the data AND the on site evidence, which is pretty comprehensive, would have pointed to satisfactory also. Independent schools, overseas schools and other schools that don't do national tests for whatever reason can be judged on achievement as seen in pupils' work and in lessons and through assessments made by the school. All independent schools are inspected either by Ofsted or another body.
    Data is a starting point for inspections, and the pre-inspection briefing will make reference to the data, but it is only a starting point. This is illustrated in the fact that numerous schools that have low attainment have been judged to be good overall. However, the new framework makes it difficult for schools below the floor to reach above a satisfactory judgement.

4. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Thanks for this comprehensive answer.
    So how do schools that do not have attainment and progress data (with targets set by the government) -i'm thinking particularly of Steiner here- fit into the new framework?

5. I'm assuming you mean floor standards, since they are the only targets set by the government for progress. They don't apply to independent schools and since I think all Steiner Waldorf schools are independent, those as well.
    A search for steiner reports on the ofsted website shows that they have quite a lot of information about pupils' achievements which has been gained from school records and inspection information. Independent schools are inspected under section 157. I'm not familiar with the evaluation schedule and couldn't find it on the ofsted website, but I should't think it would mention floor standards.

6. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Yes I did a search and couldn't find anything. Thanks anyway. I just think it's misleading to have Ofsted judgements using the same language of Good Outstanding etc when they are not juedged on the same criteria.

7. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Sorry - our data is consistantly below average but we got good in our inspection. We were able to explain the reasons for the poor data ie. low ability children joining us in KS 2 (we seem to attract them for some reason). Anyway, the inspectors could see we were a good school despite the data and graded us as good.

8. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

How interesting. Is your progress good then? What has happened to you contradicts what we have been told..? ;- /
    Was that a recent inspection under the new framework?

9. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

I thought Ofsted inspected Steiner schools too? (@mule or anyone who knows)

10. Ofsted no longer inspect Steiner schools. The Schools Inspection Service (SIS) was established in 2006 to inspect schools associated with the Focus Learning Trust for the Exclusive Christian Brethren, since 2009 they also inspect Steiner Schools.

More info here http://www.dcscience.net/?p=3595

11. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Yes, we were inspected quite recently. Our situation is that those children who start with us in reception do very well. However, those children that arrive during KS2 are invariably low ability, expulsions from othwer schools, behavioural problems etc. We do really well with gthem on the pastoral side but they do drag our results down. The inspectors could see this.

12. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Thanks Greta and Mule.

@greta- do you know why you get these particular KS2 pupils coming to you? And they must be in a minority. Do you get reasonable percentages at end of KS2 overall? Ours are only in the 70s.

13. greta444

greta444 New commenter

well, we do have a very good reputation for pastoral care and sorting out behavioural difficulties (as much as we can anyway) I suspect LEA are suggesting such pupils come to us. They are in a minority thank goodness but as our cohorts are fairly small ( 9 - 15) they do have quite an impact when the achieve level 3 as many of them do. Our percentages are around 80% which is lower than LEA average, similar schools and national average. But our percentages do fluctuate quite widely. Some years we're around 60%!!

14. They do. A simple search for steiner on the Ofsted website shows that many were inspected through 2011

15. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Do they inspect them by Ofsted criteria? Because Steiner have a completely different way of teaching and learning. I don't think they have targets or levels etc.

16. There are many remits inspected by Ofsted. The Maintained schools remit is just one of many. The framework by which Steiner schools are inspected appears to be the independent remit judging from the inspection reports on the website.