1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anybody elses body weight really fluctuate overnight?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bethannie, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

This is perfectly normal!
    My weight can fluctuate by 4 pounds with no problem.....more if I am due a period (although these are getting fewer and further between!) when I can gain half a stone or more overnight.
    Are the scales in exactly the same position? This can make a huge difference too!

2. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

I just have to laugh when I hear people saying theyve lost or gained 2lbs, this is a daily occurence for me!
    Any sort of meal even a jacked potato will invariably see me put on 2/3 lbs instantly

3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I can gain half a stone just hearing the rustle of a bag of jellybabies....

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

A lot of overnight weight loss is due to water loss through sweating and breathing, and not replacing the water overnight by drinking.
    Also, during the day we fill up on food, which adds weight and water.
    When I diet (not often) or anytime I weigh myself, I always do so first thing in the morning, unclothed, pre cuppa and post wee!

5. Same here! That morning wee must add so much weight ;)
    I do weigh less in the morning, but only by about 1lb and I attribute that to the fact that during the day Im eating meals. 4lbs sounds a lot of fluctuation to me but as others have said they're the same, its obviously normal.

6. Four pounds sounds about normal. Six pounds seems a lot. Were you wearing your heavy slippers last night?

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

just to give you an idea.

• a large cup of tea/coffee (say 0.5ltr mug) will weigh about 1lbs in terms of just water weight. Normally you don't drink over night and could lose this weight in water via sweating or breathing while you sleep
    • the bladder can hold up to about 600ml of water (another 1lb of weight)
    so thats two pounds from simply getting up, having a wee and then going on the scales!

8. What about 2 bottles of wine grandelf? :p

9. That weight you lost...............................I found it!

10. I dont own weight scales so I wouldn't know. Clothes fit - at both ends of the day.
    It must be important though to weigh - if interested - at the same time each day.

11. I weighed myself on a carpeted floor and found I was two stone lighter than when I weighed myself on tiles! What a lovely illusion :)

12. I haven't weighed myself in the evening for years, since I discovered that my weight fluctuates by up to half a stone between the evening and the morning! My theory is that there's a lot of water stored in my legs which drains overnight - I often find that my ankles are swollen at the end of the day and nice and slim in the morning.

13. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Yes, it's normal.
    With people saying they've lost 2 lbs, there are two sides, if they lose 1/2 lbs for several weeks that obviously turns into a stone over time which you don't put on overnight (well I don't!) Also, if you weigh yourself at the same time each week wearing similar clothes then it's fairly accurate.
    I ate next to nothing last week and lost 7lbs! This week have eaten more or less exactly the same and have lost 1 - I just think there's no rhyme or reason to weight loss! x

14. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

All of the above are good reasons why there's no point weighing yourself more than once or (at the most) twice a week - same time same place etc. That will give you the general trend of your gain/loss if you need it. Weighing daily is futile and obsessive.
    RG (mum of anorexic daughter, so my judgement may be slightly skewed)

15. Even the tape measure doesn't work if you do it at different times. I wear a velcro belt at night to support my insulin pump. It's always very loose in the morning. I can find waistbands tight by teatime which were very loose in the morning, and that's before my evening meal.